Login or register  
TV
Bionic Woman => Forum Index => Is anyone else really disappointed?
rushmist

Level 1 (4%)
Since: 11/Oct/07
Message Posted On Thursday, October 11th 2007 at 10:59 pm
I watched the pilot and thought, ok, this could be a good should. Then with the recast, losing Will, bringing in Isiah's character and what feels like a complete change of direction...I'm really disapointed. For lack of a better description, where's Jaime's angst? Why does she seem so accepting. And far more importantly, why did eps 1 & 2 seem soooo boring? Then again, is it just me? The only bright spark seems to be your BSG actress.
ShadowRaider

Level 1 (1%)
Since: 07/Oct/07
Message Posted On Thursday, October 11th 2007 at 11:43 pm
I agree that the death of Will was not a good move for the show, however, I think that the building of the characters is going along at a good pace. I see it getting more action packed about the middle of the first season. There are plenty of angles that the writers can use to move the basic story along, Jaime's sister is one as well as getting her a new love interest. I just hope that it survives more than one season. Too many good shows get canceled too early.

Cheers!
rushmist

Level 1 (4%)
Message Posted On Friday, October 12th 2007 at 1:18 am
That's fair enough...Mr Washington's character just doesn't ring true, somehow....then again I like the idea of a deaf sister rather than what, so far, is just more eye candy. I guess I was hoping for something a bit more psychological, rather than what it has become...especially given the pedigree. Although I'm pleasantly surprised at MIchelle Ryan's American accent.
holophonor
(Forum Moderator)

Level 43 (58%)
Mood: dizzy
Since: 30/Nov/05
Message Posted On Friday, October 12th 2007 at 9:24 am
I agree 100% with your first post, rushmist. I was also very disappointed. The script is pretty weak, but it might have been passable with a better actress. I don't know what it is, but I just don't like Michelle Ryan's acting. I didn't know she was British, though, so kudos to her for the American accent. I was surprised after the first episode by how bored I was. And like you said, the only scenes that I find tolerable are the ones with Sarah.

Since I don't have anything else to watch Wednesdays at 9, I guess I'll keep watching and hoping for an improvement.
rushmist

Level 1 (4%)
Message Posted On Friday, October 12th 2007 at 4:26 pm
Quote:
Michelle Ryan...I didn't know she was British

I've noticed a few more Brits have landed state-side over the past few years (playing American roles). Of course, Jamie Bamber - BSG, Paul Blackthorne (sp?) - Dresden Files, Sophia Myles - Moonlight, Eddie Izzard & Minnie Driver - The Riches, Ioan Griffund - can't remember the name of the programme, but a law show set in the future - not to mention Fantastic Four films - and that's just off the top of my head
tikidawg

Level 92 (11%)
Mood: frisky
Since: 26/Nov/05
Message Posted On Friday, October 12th 2007 at 7:22 pm
I agree with you too, rushmist. It could be an awesome series, but falls short in several different areas. Michelle Ryan is okay, but there's something about her that annoys me. Her American accent is amazing, though.

My biggest complaint is the writing. I think I posted this in another thread about the series, but they use rain, etc. to set a somber mood, but never follow through with the dialogue. Only having rain isn't going to automatically change my mood.

Since it's a new series, I suppose it's possible that the writers are still trying to find a groove for the series or iron out all the kinks. Hopefully it can improve, but earlier in the week NBC ordered more scripts from both Life and Chuck -- I would assume if they had confidence in BW's potential they would have done the same for it as well.
rushmist

Level 1 (4%)
Message Posted On Friday, October 12th 2007 at 11:48 pm
I'm just missing the angst...and the action. The character motivation of Jaime fizzled from her earlier anger and the way it was written, her 'sudden' decision to 'do good in the world' was too convenient.

Also, Miguel Ferrer's playing the same old gruff boss with a hint of heart that he often portrays. Would have liked him to be more ruthless (but not 1 dimensional - OK, I'm not a writer, so don't ask me how to achieve this convincingly), but there would have been more conflict, thus more drama.

Also, things seem to glossed over so quickly. Maybe I am expecting more because BSG does a far better job in the 'character studying their navel', but I enjoy finding out what makes a character tick.

I do take on board that it is early days, and exposition is needed, but I expect to be more engaged by programmes. If this wasn't Eick, I might not be as willing to try a few more eps.
tsl

Level 2 (8%)
Since: 27/Mar/07
Message Posted On Sunday, November 18th 2007 at 7:10 am
It will not survive beyond the first season. Rubbish. Michelle Ryan is a great actress, but annoys me lol, before leaving England for Hollywood, she appeared in one of our longest running soap operas, EastEnders (BBC One, 1985-current) and did a stint lasting 5 years. Anyway, I can't see this show working.
PureMaria

Level 26 (73%)
Mood: amused
Since: 20/Nov/05
Message Posted On Saturday, December 1st 2007 at 7:14 am
I really like this show. To me, it seemed like people deemed it to fail from the get go. Reason why? It's a remake of a popular show in the 70's. If the show isn't exactly like the remake, people seem to dislike it. This show has a lot of action and plenty of drama. This is definitely my kind of show.

I do agree with you, rushmist. They killed Will off, set up a perfectly good storyline about his death, and then went no where with it. They just ended up replacing him with someone else, who I might add, died also. I remember when Will first died, Jaime ended up finding the file Will had on her. This means he's been stalking her for quite sometime, and planned on making her a bionic woman. Did they ever go anywhere with this? I mean, did they explain why Will was, basically, stalking Jaime.
marvelfan89

Level 6 (27%)
Mood: adventurous
Since: 24/Jun/06
Message Posted On Saturday, December 1st 2007 at 5:46 pm
Michelle Ryan is a good actress and has beauty and talent to go with it. I expected worse but I like the series. It's not the 70's series which I thought was incredibly cheesy.
Taz

Level 1 (8%)
Since: 20/Jan/06
Message Posted On Wednesday, January 23rd 2008 at 9:39 pm
I personally hope it stays on, as a little action is a welcome sight on my television. I look at my program guide, and all I see are 50 reality shows, 40 cop shows,30 how to make my life better shows, and 20 family sitcoms. I for one enjoyed the original, and it became a staple program in my youth. However, for me to expect the original would be like requesting standard television as compared to my high definition. Just because that is what I grew up with? I think not, and have enjoyed the episodes so far. Not to say there are not things I would have changed or done differently, but, you cannot 100% please 100% of the people 100% of the time.