DXS agent Pete Thornton arrives on the docks to meet MacGyver as he returns by ship after escaping through the Iron Curtain with a list of terrorists. He's unaware that an East German agent, Curt Neilson, is watching him. As MacGyver gets off the ship, he notices a girl, Lisa Allen, having trouble fishing. She admits she doesn't have a lure so MacGyver makes one for her. She thanks him and he goes on his way as she promptly catches a fish. Pete meets with MacGyver and Curt's hired local thug Barrett goes to get his accomplice, Crisp. Pete and MacGyver spot the enemy closing in and Pete draws their fire so MacGyver can escape with the list. Barrett shoots Pete and MacGyver knocks down Crisp. With the East Germans closing in, MacGyver unfastens the base of a lamppost and hides the list inside. He then spots a policeman writing a ticket and goes to him for help. However, the policeman is Polk, one of Neilson's men in disguise, and knocks him out...Read the full recap
This episode marks the first appearance of Peter Thornton (Dana Elcar), who hear is a supervisor with the DXS and later becomes the Director of Operations at the Phoenix Foundation on the series. Elcar was a recurring guest star during the first season and later joined the regular cast for the second and subsequent series.
MacGyver: It's a known fact that 80 decimals of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody.
MacGyver: You know, seaweed's generally not considered to be the best lure for fishing.
MacGyver: Now my grandfather used to say, "you just gotta think like a fish."
MacGyver: Expecting trouble?
Pete: Well, you never can tell. The East Germans are just a little bit hot over this one.
MacGyver: Nice to know my work is appreciated.
Curt Neilson: You see, Barrett, MacGyver is a genuine patriot. They can be remarkably stubborn.
Curt Neilson: You have good veins.
MacGyver: Thank you.
MacGyver: One time, when I was a kid, I built a slingshot out of a couple of broken hockey sticks and an old inner tube. And, you know, no matter how hard I practiced, I just could never miss... my neighbor's window.
Lisa Allen: Hey, you're like me. You make do with what you got.
MacGyver: Yeah, I guess I do.
MacGyver: Like the magician said, misdirection never hurt.
* Gum wrapper to make a fishing lure
* Bed springs fastened to a bed frame and anchored to a doorframe, to shoot it at someone coming through a door
* A belt as a crude hose to dump water into an electrical outlet and short out the fuse box below
* A TV tube hooked up to a car battery via jumper cables, jumper cables rigged to touch when someone opens the door, to overload the tube and cause an explosion
* Jamming a tire's air valve open with a nail to distract a bad guy
* Rope attached to a smoke alarm, then tied to several large water bottles, then thrown over a rafter. When MacGyver releases the rope with his foot, the bottles drop along a piece of plywood and roll into barrels to knock over the bad guys.
* Hitting an iron rod on a fire hydrant to temporarily magnetize it, then reach through a sewer grill to snag a metal capsule