In East Berlin, pallbearers carry a coffin containing MacGyver. They drive him to the border checkpoint where three “mourners” are waiting for the coffin. The guards remove the coffin and put it on the bridge, then call over the mourners to collect it. They carry it toward the West Berlin side of the checkpoint, but the head soldier gets a phone call. He orders them to stop the coffin and the mourners run to the side and throw the coffin into the river below. MacGyver triggers a device which blows the coffin apart, revealing a compact jet ski. He rides it to safety as the guards fruitlessly shoot at him...Read the full recap
Opening Gambit: Writer Jerry Ludwig, Director Cliff Bole
Main Episode: Writer Stephen Kandel, Director Alexander Singer
MacGyver: I guess this makes me about the first guy who ever attended his own funeral and lived to tell about it.
MacGyver: No, Pete and I go way back to some pretty… funny places.
Karen Blake: Is that what the camel is about?
MacGyver: Always had to say how great you were, didn't you, Quayle? Afraid maybe people wouldn't notice.
Quayle: You'll be the last one to die.
MacGyver: That's what I figure, too… of old age, hopefully.
MacGyver: When I was a kid, I use to build model airplanes with rubber band motors. Then I discovered batteries—it sure did increase the mileage.
Karen: When I left him he was taking the motor out of a blender.
Quayle: Ah, yes, that's the handyman side of MacGyver; he likes to make clever little things out of odd bits.
* Suit of armor to test motion-sensitive sentry guns
* A metal bowl attached to a blender spindle to create a jamming device, bouncing off electrical waves from other appliances turned on
* Batteries taped together, attached to a mixer, attached by rubber bands to wheels on a cart to propel it. A taped-together armor headpiece is placed on top as a decoy.
* Vinegar and baking soda to make a smoke screen
* Duct piping as an early-warning system
* Mirror in duct piping to make a crude periscope
* Water pipes with a release valve to fire water into a fuse box
This episode reveals that Peter Thornton (Dana Elcar) is a United States Army colonel.