Login or register  
TV
Star Trek => Forum Index => Concerning The Re-Mastered Episodes
FuManchu

Level 16 (73%)
Since: 02/Dec/05
Message Posted On Sunday, September 10th 2006 at 7:31 pm
For all of us STOS fans who are anxiously awaiting the airing of the newly upgraded episodes please post their comments here (or, well, really anywhere you want ).

I really want to hear which channels might / will be airing the newly revised episodes.
FuManchu

Level 16 (73%)
Message Posted On Tuesday, September 12th 2006 at 1:42 pm
I guess the episodes will only be seen on G4. I hate that G4 can only be seen on the very expensive digital cable listings. I could be wrong on this being the only place they will be seen and I hope others here will correct me if I am wrong. I am really looking forward to seeing theses revised episodes.
Faris

Level 1 (54%)
Since: 23/Apr/06
Message Posted On Wednesday, October 4th 2006 at 2:13 pm
I really hate it, the show is a classic, a work of art the way it is, who is too shallow to watch this show just because it's special effects aren't good?

I've heard stories of parents who love the show complain that their kids won't watch because it's effects aren't good. My answer is that there's more to a show than it's effects.

Anyone else agree?

Faris,
FuManchu

Level 16 (73%)
Message Posted On Wednesday, October 11th 2006 at 2:46 am
On Wednesday, October 4th 2006 2:13 pm, Faris wrote:
I really hate it, the show is a classic, a work of art the way it is, who is too shallow to watch this show just because it's special effects aren't good?

I've heard stories of parents who love the show complain that their kids won't watch because it's effects aren't good. My answer is that there's more to a show than it's effects.

Anyone else agree?

Faris,

A really good point here. However, creating an alternative palatable for the modern generation can’t be all that bad, right? They even updated / upgraded the original Star Wars movies.

I kind of think some of this is to re-attract people like me that have seen the OS so many times that it might be nice for some change. Think about it, STOS is competing against tough new high tech Sci-Fi shows.
Faris

Level 1 (54%)
Since: 23/Apr/06
Message Posted On Wednesday, October 11th 2006 at 11:43 pm
Well, Star Trek belongs in the scifi classics category, not with modern SF shows.

Upgrading Star Wars was a mistake as well, although I don't care for Star Wars.

Another point of view is, would you want someone to put new paint over the Mona Lisa if it deteriorated or would you want it to be left alone as it was originally? For me, the answer is clearly a no, don't destroy the work of the masters.

Faris,
tvphile

Level 1 (46%)
Since: 15/Feb/07
Message Posted On Monday, October 8th 2007 at 9:20 pm
If the special effects are not what the show is about, why would anyone hate the remastered episodes?

There are several different points here. First of all, they are not simply replacing the special effects, but cleaning and making high-definition digital copies of the original. It is simply a pleasure to watch the show without all the dirt and scratches.

As for the special effects, the modifications are done with great care. The producers are not "re-imagining" or rewriting history, like the Star Wars revisions did, but rather restoring this work of art (art restoration is constantly "painting over" masterpieces. The alternative is to lose them forever).

What are we missing, exactly? I can only think of two kinds of people who might want to see the original unaltered: TV historians, and hard-core fans who do not want so see *any* change whatsoever. I think these people might have a valid point in wanting to preserve the original, but this does not mean we can't have the remastered versions, too.

Personally, I'm glad we have both versions.
tvphile

Level 1 (46%)
Message Posted On Tuesday, November 20th 2007 at 10:45 am
I went ahead and ordered the new DVDs for $140, even though I don't want to support HD-DVD or the boneheads at Paramount who decided to drop support for Blu-ray.

Cost was also a significant consideration, until I remembered I paid $150 for each of the 7 boxes of STTNG when they came out. *That* was a lot of money, but I had to have them. And the video quality of TNG is not much better than VHS.

This set of TOS is going to be great. Some day I'll get a hybrid player, I'll flip the discs over and watch the show in full HD. In the meantime, I get to watch the DVDs.
tvphile

Level 1 (46%)
Message Posted On Wednesday, November 28th 2007 at 12:34 pm
Here's a good review of the new HD set, discussing the "upgrades." I think the sample pictures stress the point the show is being restored, not changed into something different.
mxb2001

Level 1
Since: 10/Jul/12
Message Posted On Tuesday, July 10th 2012 at 9:00 pm
They're a disaster. Stupid gimmick with no redeeming value at all. The retards even cut off the top and bottom of the picture to make it fit the HD size crap. Simply pathetic.

Chris Rock Speaks of Tracy Morgan's Health

During an interview with USA Today, Chris Rock spoke of fellow comedian and..

More4 Release Trailer For The Final Episode Of 'Masters of Sex'

Channel 4 have released the trailer for the final episode of..

Third Celebrity Eliminated From 'Strictly Come Dancing'

Following last week’s third live show which saw Jennifer Gibney and..