Login or register  
TV
Stargate SG-1 => Forum Index => Stargate Master Question List
Faris

Level 1 (54%)
Since: 23/Apr/06
Message Posted On Thursday, September 14th 2006 at 10:45 pm
No, what I meant is that with the CURRENT UNDERSTANDING of science, it's impossible, but whenever, if they discover some new piece of info, they will make it viable, you can't say that hasn't happened before, the part about science being proven wrong, it's happened many times, just like Maj. Griffin said in "Grace under pressure" to McKay.

Faris,
Insaneboy

Level 2 (81%)
Since: 08/Dec/05
Message Posted On Thursday, September 14th 2006 at 11:07 pm
On Thursday, September 14th 2006 10:45 pm, Faris wrote:
No, what I meant is that with the CURRENT UNDERSTANDING of science, it's impossible, but whenever, if they discover some new piece of info, they will make it viable, you can't say that hasn't happened before, the part about science being proven wrong, it's happened many times, just like Maj. Griffin said in "Grace under pressure" to McKay.

Faris,

That's why i like to keep an eye on http://www.physorg.com/
It has some very interesting stuff like this - http://www.physorg.com/news77463300.html - makes you wonder.
SebDE

Level 23 (1%)
Since: 28/Nov/05
Message Posted On Friday, September 15th 2006 at 12:27 am
On Thursday, September 14th 2006 4:12 am, Insaneboy wrote:
Not if you try to extract zero point energy from the vacuum of our universe and flood the universe with exotic particles
There are not even exotic particles needed, but the point is that you can't change the efficiency of this process, thus you can't draw any usable energy from this effect. The important thing on this is: you can't create energy, it's always a transformation of one type into the other. ZP-energy would have to do exactly that, thus it's just plain impossible.

On Thursday, September 14th 2006 6:55 am, FuManchu wrote:
Maybe ZPM could become viable once we learn the universal overall connecting law of physics. There are certain laws that have yet to be obtained.
The grand theory would be a great thin of course, but well it would just make other laws compatible to each other, not changing them

On Thursday, September 14th 2006 10:45 pm, Faris wrote:
Laws that don't match the observations have been proven wrong of course, but we are talking about laws that apply in every case we've observed exactly this what the law is stating. Yeah we don't know all effects possible, nor we do know all laws being known effects and of course we might be able to discover new ways of drawing usable energy from, but for one thing you can be assured of it won't be ZP-energy

"Scientists" who claim that ZP-energy can be made usable either don't understand the (quantum)effect behind this themselves (which is more than possible -- quantum effects are not something you can understand if you thing the usual cause-action way) or they try to gain popularity by people who don't understand the effect at all (which is way more often the case with advanced physics )
FuManchu

Level 16 (73%)
Since: 02/Dec/05
Message Posted On Friday, September 15th 2006 at 5:38 am
Okay, before we get theoretical in our theoretical physics, we have been told by the writers that the Ancients created ZPMs. Therefore, the scientists, like McKay, will pursue creating one themselves. So the writers throw strange hurdles in their way. I think we can accept that what we now know will not compare to what we know 10,000 years from now (assuming we survive that long ).
Insaneboy

Level 2 (81%)
Message Posted On Friday, September 15th 2006 at 10:36 am
On Friday, September 15th 2006 5:38 am, FuManchu wrote:
Okay, before we get theoretical in our theoretical physics, we have been told by the writers that the Ancients created ZPMs. Therefore, the scientists, like McKay, will pursue creating one themselves. So the writers throw strange hurdles in their way. I think we can accept that what we now know will not compare to what we know 10,000 years from now (assuming we survive that long ).

Civilisation is about 10,000 years old now, and we have launched a man in space, imagine what we'll be like in another 10,000 years...
Faris

Level 1 (54%)
Message Posted On Friday, September 15th 2006 at 11:12 am
Quote:

Civilisation is about 10,000 years old now, and we have launched a man in space, imagine what we'll be like in another 10,000 years...

Assuming there are humans, or at least ones with technology then, I personally, think that we will destroy ourselves/go back to the stone age by the 22nd century with the way things are going, global warmining, deforestation of the Amazon, not finding a viable alternative to fossil fuels, too much dependence on technology, it's bound to fail sooner or later..

I personally, think we could do without computers for our day to day lives, except for using the internet of course. I mean, everything practically has a computer in it these days and I hate that. I like old fashioned, non-computerized things.

Faris,
Insaneboy

Level 2 (81%)
Message Posted On Friday, September 15th 2006 at 3:52 pm
On Friday, September 15th 2006 11:12 am, Faris wrote:
Quote:

Assuming there are humans, or at least ones with technology then, I personally, think that we will destroy ourselves/go back to the stone age by the 22nd century with the way things are going, global warmining, deforestation of the Amazon, not finding a viable alternative to fossil fuels, too much dependence on technology, it's bound to fail sooner or later..

I personally, think we could do without computers for our day to day lives, except for using the internet of course. I mean, everything practically has a computer in it these days and I hate that. I like old fashioned, non-computerized things.

Faris,

There was this theory that if 6 million people (or something like that) get on a place somewhere in Asia and everybody jumps at once, that they'll move the Earth by 2 degrees of its orbit, which happens to be exactly the amount needed to avoid global warming. Dont know if it's true, though.
Faris

Level 1 (54%)
Message Posted On Friday, September 15th 2006 at 6:50 pm
I doubt that, the force needed to do that would shake the Earth worse than a Magnitude 10 Earth Quake, plus that would make the year longer which would ruin our calendar system.

Faris,
1 | 2

Downton Abbey - Michelle Dockery Interview

Whilst attending the official press launch for the new series, I was able to catch up..

'People's Choice Awards 2015' Press Release from CBS

'People's Choice Awards 2015' to Air Live on Wednesday, Jan. 7,..

Keith Allen, Daniel Rigby and Michael Socha to star in new Dave Comedy 'Undercover'

Today UKTV network Dave have announced a..