Login or register  
TV
TVRage.Com Forums => People => Patrick Swayze diagnosed with cancer
Piggie8

Level 20 (45%)
Posts: 6568
Points: 2569.9
Mood: impatient
Since: 09/Apr/06
Message Posted On Wednesday, March 5th 2008 at 5:12 pm
FROM PEOPLE.COM

By Stephen M. Silverman

Patrick Swayze, who starred in Dirty Dancing and Ghost, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, his doctor says.

"Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far," Dr. George Fisher says in a statement. "All of the reports stating the time frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

The actor's rep adds: "Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family."

Swayze, 55, started his career as a dancer before turning to acting. His breakout role was as a Catskills dance instructor opposite Jennifer Grey in 1987's sleeper hit Dirty Dancing. He also starred opposite Demi Moore in the 1990 blockbuster Ghost.

On Broadway in the '70s he played the lead role of Danny Zucco in Grease – he returned to the New York stage in December 2003, for a brief stint in the revival of Chicago – before making his movie debut in 1979's Skatetown, U.S.A. Among his other screen roles were 2001's Donnie Darko and 1995's To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar, which he played in fabulous drag.

And while Swayze has been happily married to the same woman, Lisa Niemi, since 1975, only last month Scarlett Johansson said quite seriously during her Hasty Pudding roast at Harvard that the man to whom she'd most like to be linked with romantically is, "Probably Patrick Swayze. My dream come true."

Swayze's diagnosis was initially reported by the National Enquirer and New York Post, which both characterized the cancer as more severe than Swayze's doctor has.

Each year about 33,000 individuals in the United States are diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas (a large organ that lies horizontally behind the lower part of one's stomach), according to the Mayo Clinic.

Calling the condition "one of the most serious of cancers," the facility's Web site also states, "Pancreatic cancer spreads rapidly and is seldom detected in its early stages, which is a major reason why it's a leading cause of cancer death."
atecom

Level 13 (68%)
Posts: 1246
Points: 2504.3
Mood: blissful
Since: 07/Jan/06
Message Posted On Wednesday, March 5th 2008 at 5:49 pm
He has been given no longer then 5 weeks life expectancy...

How would you spend your next 5 weeks if it were you?
Ryan
(Global Moderator)

Level 63 (90%)
Posts: 30631
Points: 6849.4
Since: 01/Dec/05
Message Posted On Wednesday, March 5th 2008 at 8:03 pm
I would drug overdose.
nishikaze

Level 24 (24%)
Posts: 6780
Points: 1155.7
Mood: None
Since: 29/Jan/06
Message Posted On Thursday, March 6th 2008 at 7:47 am
Wow. Cancer sucks.

Good luck to him.
Me
(Beloved TVRage Original)

Level 94 (80%)
Posts: 21662
Points: 132353.6
Since: 01/Dec/05
Message Posted On Thursday, March 6th 2008 at 8:27 am
On Wednesday, March 5th 2008 5:49 pm, atecom wrote:
He has been given no longer then 5 weeks life expectancy...

How would you spend your next 5 weeks if it were you?

Quote:
"All of the reports stating the time frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

They also said he had lost 20 pounds, but then was seen last week looking the same as always. I guess no one reads the people news which I had added this story earlier and stated that the reports of him being near death were untrue and that they found cancer in a very small area which was treated quickly.
Piggie8

Level 20 (45%)
Posts: 6568
Points: 2569.9
Mood: impatient
Since: 09/Apr/06
Message Posted On Sunday, March 23rd 2008 at 10:12 pm
On Thursday, March 6th 2008 8:27 am, Me wrote:
On Wednesday, March 5th 2008 5:49 pm, atecom wrote:
He has been given no longer then 5 weeks life expectancy...

How would you spend your next 5 weeks if it were you?

Quote:
"All of the reports stating the time frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

They also said he had lost 20 pounds, but then was seen last week looking the same as always. I guess no one reads the people news which I had added this story earlier and stated that the reports of him being near death were untrue and that they found cancer in a very small area which was treated quickly.

Sorry. I looked for one but I didn't see it.

Big Brother UK - Huge Armageddon Twist Revealed

Big Brother's Armageddon twist has been revealed, with new housemates due to enter..

Firestorm to Appear on 'The Flash'

The CW and executive producer Greg Berlanti have announced that Robbie Amell will..

Casting Call - Cast Updates For Your Favorite Shows

A number of casting announcements have been made in the last few days, regarding..