Login or register  
TV
TVRage.Com Forums => Books => Jim Butcher Books
LordOpie

Level 2 (99%)
Posts: 648
Since: 10/May/07
Message Posted On Saturday, December 8th 2007 at 10:20 pm
150 pages in... it's as good as you'd expect. Same solid story telling, same progression of character development, etc.

In other words, he's not doing what Orson Scott Card, Kage Baker, Steven Brust, et al. have done to their various series by fundamentally changing stuff up and ruining it all.
nishikaze

Level 24 (24%)
Posts: 6780
Points: 1155.7
Mood: None
Since: 29/Jan/06
Message Posted On Saturday, December 8th 2007 at 11:00 pm
Or what R A Salvatore has done to Drizzt and Co. I used to love Salvatore. Now he has me so royally pissed off I refuse to buy another Drizzt novel. Ever!

Damn the greedy ass bastards at Wizard's of the Coast and the f*** Nuts creating 4th ed D&D! How dare they screw with the Forgotten Realms! He wouldn't have done it if they hadn't tied his hands. (At least I'd like to think that.)

Sorry... Opie's post set me off. I'm done now. Bad memories.

But in better news... I'm getting the hard cover White Night for Christmas! Now I'll have them all until the new one comes out in April.

Did I mention my library doesn't carry Butcher at all. Turds.
Siesser

Level 4 (35%)
Posts: 1004
Points: 50.6
Since: 27/Jan/06
Message Posted On Sunday, December 9th 2007 at 10:09 pm
Super Turds. Butcher is literary awesomeness.
LordOpie

Level 2 (99%)
Posts: 648
Since: 10/May/07
Message Posted On Monday, December 10th 2007 at 8:08 am
On Saturday, December 8th 2007 11:00 pm, nishikaze wrote:
Or what R A Salvatore has done to Drizzt and Co. I used to love Salvatore. Now he has me so royally pissed off I refuse to buy another Drizzt novel. Ever!

Damn the greedy ass bastards at Wizard's of the Coast and the f*** Nuts creating 4th ed D&D! How dare they screw with the Forgotten Realms! He wouldn't have done it if they hadn't tied his hands. (At least I'd like to think that.)

Sorry... Opie's post set me off. I'm done now. Bad memories.

But in better news... I'm getting the hard cover White Night for Christmas! Now I'll have them all until the new one comes out in April.

Did I mention my library doesn't carry Butcher at all. Turds.

Ever notice that nothing outside of family pisses you (at least me) off more than an author ruining a series 5-8 books into it?

It's like they've destroyed a world.

I stopped playing, reading, anything D&D and the like a while ago, so not familiar with the 4th Ed.

Will/can your library order something if you request it?

Ours has an online request. They've filled about half my requests of stuff they didn't have.

I also request stuff that I know they'll get just so I'll be first on the hold list... cuz I'm a sneaky selfish jerk
nishikaze

Level 24 (24%)
Posts: 6780
Points: 1155.7
Mood: None
Since: 29/Jan/06
Message Posted On Monday, December 10th 2007 at 2:30 pm
Imagine this... The Forgotten Realms has been a staple of the D&D genre for decades. It has an extremely detailed and well documented history.

Wizard's of the Coast pretty much said, "f*** history" and has not only ruined the back history of the planet but has destroyed the classes and races. They essentially erased what was, like a drawing on a marker board, to remake the planet for their own agenda.

Salvatore had two characters who have been toying with getting together since they met books ago, from the beginning. They went through hell, even to the point where they believed each other dead. They finally get together, even get married, only for the one to be killed one year after. All because Wizard's of the Coast want the Forgotten Realms to change to support 4th Ed.

p*** me off.
Siesser

Level 4 (35%)
Posts: 1004
Points: 50.6
Since: 27/Jan/06
Message Posted On Monday, December 10th 2007 at 3:10 pm
I never realized D&D had a book series...

shows how little I know
nishikaze

Level 24 (24%)
Posts: 6780
Points: 1155.7
Mood: None
Since: 29/Jan/06
Message Posted On Monday, December 10th 2007 at 5:34 pm
On Monday, December 10th 2007 3:10 pm, Siesser wrote:
I never realized D&D had a book series...

shows how little I know

Several... Ever hear of the best selling series Dragonlance by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman? Or anything set in the Forgotten Realms?

The First Trilogy of the Dragonlance series has the greatest villian(?) ever in Raistlin. He's one of my favorite characters of all time. And it all started out with a group of players and a 1st ed. box set.
Siesser

Level 4 (35%)
Posts: 1004
Points: 50.6
Since: 27/Jan/06
Message Posted On Monday, December 10th 2007 at 6:52 pm
I have heard of Dragonlance, but never paid it much mind. "First Trilogy..." are there, like, multiple story arcs in the world, or is it all focused on the same main characters?
LordOpie

Level 2 (99%)
Posts: 648
Since: 10/May/07
Message Posted On Monday, December 10th 2007 at 8:06 pm
On Monday, December 10th 2007 2:30 pm, nishikaze wrote:
Imagine this... The Forgotten Realms has been a staple of the D&D genre for decades. It has an extremely detailed and well documented history.

Wizard's of the Coast pretty much said, "f*** history" and has not only ruined the back history of the planet but has destroyed the classes and races. They essentially erased what was, like a drawing on a marker board, to remake the planet for their own agenda.

Salvatore had two characters who have been toying with getting together since they met books ago, from the beginning. They went through hell, even to the point where they believed each other dead. They finally get together, even get married, only for the one to be killed one year after. All because Wizard's of the Coast want the Forgotten Realms to change to support 4th Ed.

p*** me off.

WotC *told* an author what to write? And he did what they said?

That's weak. Unless they were also the publisher, but then he should've jumped ship and gone with another.
nishikaze

Level 24 (24%)
Posts: 6780
Points: 1155.7
Mood: None
Since: 29/Jan/06
Message Posted On Monday, December 10th 2007 at 10:44 pm
On Monday, December 10th 2007 8:06 pm, LordOpie wrote:

WotC *told* an author what to write? And he did what they said?

That's weak. Unless they were also the publisher, but then he should've jumped ship and gone with another.

They own the rights to the world! So when they say do this... **sighs**

As for Dragonlance. There are multiple series and they all over lap in some way. The first three trilogies and the second two are by far the best. Though another of my favorite characters doesn't show until Tales.

See the Chronicles Trilogy, and the Legends Trilogy. They are also coming out with an animated movie!

Pretty much the trilogies each represent a war on the world. Such great characters. Dragonlance is the only series I have ever read where having multiple (10 + main in just the first trilogy) characters never got me lost.
Siesser

Level 4 (35%)
Posts: 1004
Points: 50.6
Since: 27/Jan/06
Message Posted On Thursday, December 27th 2007 at 12:35 pm
Finally picking up Captain's Fury tonight; just finished re-reading Cursor's, so I'm all ready to keep it goin'.
LordOpie

Level 2 (99%)
Posts: 648
Since: 10/May/07
Message Posted On Thursday, December 27th 2007 at 11:27 pm
Nice!

I was disappointed... that I have to wait another fockin' year for more!
nishikaze

Level 24 (24%)
Posts: 6780
Points: 1155.7
Mood: None
Since: 29/Jan/06
Message Posted On Friday, December 28th 2007 at 7:52 am
On Thursday, December 27th 2007 11:27 pm, LordOpie wrote:
Nice!

I was disappointed... that I have to wait another fockin' year for more!

New Dresden in April.
LordOpie

Level 2 (99%)
Posts: 648
Since: 10/May/07
Message Posted On Friday, December 28th 2007 at 9:18 am
On Friday, December 28th 2007 7:52 am, nishikaze wrote:
On Thursday, December 27th 2007 11:27 pm, LordOpie wrote:
Nice!

I was disappointed... that I have to wait another fockin' year for more!

New Dresden in April.

hell yeah!

What other modern day sci-fan authors do y'all read?

I really enjoy Simon Green's two series in modern day England.

I tried reading CE Murphy's series set in Seattle. I loved the first book, but couldn't finish the second book She fockin' changed writing styles and started to lose the characters. I've debated about reading the third book.

Neil Gaiman has several Mod S-F, while they're all great, they're not part of a series.

Kat Richardson's first book was good enough to try the second, but haven't got around to it yet.

Author suggestions that are 'similar' to Butcher's DF?
nishikaze

Level 24 (24%)
Posts: 6780
Points: 1155.7
Mood: None
Since: 29/Jan/06
Message Posted On Friday, December 28th 2007 at 1:21 pm
Neil Gaiman rocks. Terry Pratchet is pretty cool too. I also do recommend R.A. Salvatore (despite the recent crap he's putting me through.) Like I said before Drizzt is iconic, but he's written a few independent stories and when he picks up Star Wars, its nothing short of amazing.

I also had a thing for Anne McCaffery and Andrea Norton. I just don't read like I used to.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Rage Ratings Review: Tuesday 19th August - US - Actual

Primetime CBS opened the evening with a repeat airing of 'NCIS' at 8pm, with..

Strictly Come Dancing - Launch date set for 7th September

Sunday, 7th September is looking like the likely launch date for this year's..

Rage Ratings Review: Wednesday 20th August - UK

Primetime 'The One Show' aired on BBC one at 7pm, with guest Jon Hamm, attracting 3.1..