Charlie Sheen Retiring From Acting After "Anger Management"?

Charlie Sheen

Charlie Sheen's new FX comedy Anger Management premieres next Thursday night, but according to a recent interview with The New York Times, Sheen may be planning to exit stage left from Hollywood regardless if the show succeeds or fails.

Sheen has been acting for about three decades now, and it seems that the former Charlie Harper is realizing that "there’s a lot more out there to do than make-believe, you know?" Sheen also added the following - "I mean, I’m grateful. I’ve got a dream life as a direct result of television, you know? But at some point you just get tired of wearing somebody else’s clothes, saying somebody else’s words and working in somebody else’s space. I’m also aware of the fact that you don’t get these kinds of shots in the same lifetime. You’re only supposed to have one hit show, unless you’re Kelsey Grammer."

Sheen's next statement seems pretty clear as well - "When I’m done with this business it’s just going to be about soccer games and amusement parks. And when this ends, I’m done. This is my swan song.” That doesn't leave much room for ambiguity. It sounds like the man with tiger blood and Adonis DNA may just be ready to hang it up for good.

Elsewhere in the interview, Sheen was also adamant that he would never agree to be randomly drug tested if questions should arise about his health - "I told them to go [away] with that one. It’s an invasion of privacy, man. Total invasion of privacy.If they say, ‘What’s going on?’ I’m like, I don’t know, what’s going on with you? ‘Well, you seem a little …’ Really, that’s your opinion? How does the work look? ‘Well, the work’s great but …’ Everything after ‘but’ is a dial tone. Go to hell."

Finally, Sheen addressed how he feels fans will receive his return to TV - "They seem to be rooting pretty hard for this next thing. And the ones that pay attention know that I’m not just some loose cannon that’s out there making [stuff] up. Or trying to set up a different image of who I think I am or trying to convince them I’m somebody different. I think that’s the reason people have stayed with me, is because I’ve just always been honest. I’ve always been like, “I did it, sorry, nobody got hurt, nobody got arrested.” Not all the time. And you move on. A friend of mine, a guy I really respect, says that as long as you’re teachable, then you have some sense of humility. And to be teachable you have to listen. No one listens anymore."

If Anger Management is a hit, we won't have to worry about Charlie going away any time soon, even if he does stick to his retirement plans. The show's deal with FX is for an initial season of ten episodes, but if ratings benchmarks are hit during that time, the show will be automatically picked up for a whopping ninety more episodes. This is similar to the agreements that Tyler Perry has with TBS.

Do you think Charlie will retire from acting after Anger Management? Will the show be a hit?

Sources: The above linked NYT interview, and EW.com for some additional info about the show.

- Charlie Sheen
- Anger Management
- FX

Written by: Michael Stevenson
Jun 21st, 2012, 10:17 am

Mike G.

Message Posted On Dec 27th, 2012, 11:35 pm
I like him in ''Two men & a half" ! Always like Charlie! He's not old! The lifestyle makes him old! I wish you much luck next year! I'm from Bulgaria! A small country in Europe!
missingyou

Message Posted On Jul 14th, 2012, 8:49 am
I would be more then happy to view the program - unfortunately I can't get FX in Ontario Canada Really miss his acting - perhaps it can be televised on a channel we get

Message Posted On Jun 28th, 2012, 12:26 pm
I thought of watching this show but really... I don't want to invest any time into a show that will probably be cancelled due to the main star not being able to get along with others.. or life in general.
tinalessia

Since: 12/Oct/07
Message Posted On Jun 24th, 2012, 3:15 pm

I think it's a little sad the life he chose. I look at the amazing talent in that family and wish he could have gone on. His Dad is one of my favorite actors and his brother, apart from being one of the Brat Pack, has  acquired his own skills writing and directing. Charlie Sheen is no slouch in the acting department by no means and could have really made a name for himself without the hookers. Such a waste.

Message Posted On Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:40 pm
Personally, if it's good he might stay and if he doesn't maybe he should return to doing movies. If he goes back to movies he has to find the right script to get him back onto anything that's good. Either way it's really up to him. Good Luck anyway :)
Splainintodo

Since: 18/May/12
Message Posted On Jun 21st, 2012, 5:18 pm
He used to be in the movies...right?
Cuddlepot

Since: 03/May/12
Message Posted On Jun 21st, 2012, 1:37 pm
not interested - give some of the new blood a chance to entertain us - CS is now a has-been Good luck with winning, buddy!