NBC Removing Ann Curry As Today Show Co-Anchor

Ann Curry

A shake-up is coming to the #1 rated American morning show, as it's being heavily reported that Matt Lauer's current co-anchor Ann Curry is on the way out.

Curry took over for previous anchor Meredith Viera last year, after spending over a decade as a contributor on the popular morning show. Unfortunately, ratings have dipped a bit during her tenure, and rival ABC program Good Morning America has even defeated Today in the ratings on several recent occasions. To add some perspective, Today hadn't lost the morning ratings battle in years before those instances.  While it probably isn't fair to place the blame on Curry alone for these difficulties, network executives never fail to look in the direction of the new addition when something changes for the worse on a TV show, whether it be right or wrong to do so.

NBC obviously doesn't place any of the blame on Lauer, as he recently signed a lucrative new contract with the network. Sadly, it seems that Curry will take the full brunt of Today's losses, although she will still apparently have a job with NBC in some other news capacity. Her replacement has already been selected, as Savannah Guthrie (current co-host of Today's third hour) is expected to move up to the main anchors' desk soon.

Do you watch The Today Show? Do you think Ann Curry deserves to be let go?

Source: The New York Times

- Savannah Guthrie
- Ann Curry
- Today (US)
- NBC

Written by: Michael Stevenson
Jun 21st, 2012, 10:42 am

Message Posted On Apr 15th, 2013, 4:34 pm
I stopped watching the day Anne Curry was let go. Will never watch again!
A "Canadian cousin&q

Message Posted On Jul 24th, 2012, 3:24 pm
There is something about Ann Curry that is special. She appears to be a good listener and has a special uniqueness I can't explain when she interviews someone. She is also down to earth with no oversized ego such as some anchors whose names I will not mention. Shame on you NBC executives. As someone said maybe the producers should be looking at the directors and other anchors. How Matt is "the draw" is beyond my understanding. I like many others will try to change to another American channel, and I hope many others do. It's time ordinary citizens took a better stand on so many issues, and our countries might look a lot differntly in a good sense. Good Luck Ann and may God bless you!
Richmond, VA

Message Posted On Jun 25th, 2012, 5:32 am
I have been watching the TODAY Show since I was a child. My Dad turned it on every morning, and I'm talking about black and white TV, Frank LaSchooly, John Chancellor, and I don't even know the names of the other guys. I do remember there being 3 or 4 clocks on the wall behind the anchors. Anyway, Ann Curry is the most dignified co-anchor the show has ever had. She exudes professionalism and politiness like no other. I don't want to watch another show, but if you get rid of her I will. I have been a NBC loyal TV watcher all my life. I don't watch another TV channels. Ann is great!!! She doesn't promote the banter that the other co-anchors displayed. There is nothing wrong with that. No one likes to she these individuals make fun of one another. ANN STAYS!!!!!

Message Posted On Jun 25th, 2012, 1:33 am
If Ann Curry goes so will alot of viewers. Matt just signed a new contract was one of the conditions that Ann leaves?
Doberman

Message Posted On Jun 24th, 2012, 11:52 pm
I think it is unfortunate that NBC is letting Ann Curry go and that it has been implied that the drop in the ratings has anything to do with her. I, for one, think Ann is better than Katie Couric (who, lately, has been awful, i.e., the silliness - bordering on disrespect - when covering the Queen's celebration) and, as for Meredith, her leaving was no loss either. I agree that the Today show needs some revamping, including it may be time for NBC to lose Al, Hoda and Kathi Lee. During the show, too little time is devoted to either the storyline or guest(s) and often people are cut off in the middle of the conversation...I suspect because of a commercial or the fault of the Show's director. Maybe one should look at how the Show is being produced to see why viewers might be turning off and on to Good Morning America. I know once Ann is gone, I'll switch!

Message Posted On Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:29 am
I see stupid on NBC forehead. Ann is special Matt should go do the world and get lost.

Message Posted On Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:08 am
She should never have flirted with Brad Pitt. That's when I stopped watching the Today program.

Message Posted On Jun 23rd, 2012, 2:18 am
If Ann goes, then so do I!!
nyblues

Message Posted On Jun 22nd, 2012, 6:05 pm
I love Ann Curry. She is not a dazzling personality; her ego is not all over the screen. However, she exudes warm and sincerity like none other. To pick Savannah Guthrie is a joke...replace a professional, dignified woman like Ann for Guthrie. Get real
TGB

Message Posted On Jun 22nd, 2012, 2:56 pm
There's something about Ann Curry that just bothers me. She interrupts or talks over the top of intervieweesm the angle of her questions just seems kind of sideways, and she just doesn't have the right demeanour for the really serious, non-fluff stories. I was stunned that they added her as anchor in the first place, because she's just not the right person for the job. She's not a Katie Couric or Barbara Walters-type, and that's what they need. So, sorry Ann, but yeah I think you need to go as anchor (I have no problem with her remaining as a reporter, contributor or news reader).
1 2 | Next page>>