HBO Renews Eastbound & Down For Season Four

Eastbound & Down cast

If you enjoy HBO cult hit comedy Eastbound & Down, then your day just got a whole lot better. HBO has just opted to renew the series for a fourth season of eight episodes, meaning lead character Kenny Powers isn't quite ready to hang up his jock just yet.

This announcement is a bit of a surprise, as while the show was never officially canceled, series star Danny McBride and his producing partners strongly hinted that the show's third season would be its last. In fact, many fans went right ahead and accepted the third season finale as a pretty satisfying end to the irreverent story of the immaculately coiffed former major league pitcher turned middle school gym teacher.

McBride had this to say earlier this year - "HBO definitely wants us, and [co-creator] Jody Hill and I love writing for the show. But there is other stuff we’d like to do. Both of us are ready to make jokes concerning people who don’t have strange haircuts.”

No reason has been offered as to McBride's change of heart. Maybe he just really likes the character of Kenny Powers? Maybe the money was too good to turn down? In the end, nobody really knows the circumstances, but I seriously doubt fans will care why. I won't spoil anything, but fans will remember that the last finale did indeed leave the door open to continue the story. Although Kenny will certainly have a lot of explaining to do when he returns.

Are you glad that Eastbound & Down is coming back? Will this be the (real) last season?

- Danny McBride (2)
- Eastbound & Down
- HBO

Written by: Michael Stevenson
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:33 pm

msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 3rd, 2012, 7:23 am

No problem. Always glad to help.

Message Posted On Sep 3rd, 2012, 6:53 am
Thank you msd85. Please disregard my comment about Feb. 19 premier. The post on HBO's website meant February of 2012.

Message Posted On Sep 3rd, 2012, 6:48 am
The HBO website says the first episode of EB&D season four will aire Sunday, February 19 at 10PM.
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 3rd, 2012, 6:48 am

To the last commenter, HBO still hasn't set a premiere date for the next season.

Message Posted On Sep 3rd, 2012, 6:43 am
Anyone know when the first episode of season four will aire?
mikepardon

Points: 20
Since: 20/Apr/08
Message Posted On Jul 19th, 2012, 8:32 am

I agree with ab. The ending was great. I for one accepted it as a final episode. Soon as I seen the topic header I wanted to see if this was real. I am looking forward to another series but I hope they don't balls it up and spoil a perfectly good ending.

JamnX

Message Posted On Jul 11th, 2012, 10:39 pm
I love this show. I also love watching April's hot body prancing around the screen. There has never been someone quite like Kenny F-ing Powers on tv. Glad they are back.
ab

Since: 20/Apr/08
Message Posted On Jul 4th, 2012, 9:30 pm

I was really happy with the ending.  I'd rather they moved on to a new show, but I'll certainly give them a chance.  I'm afraid it'll undercut what they've done, though.