TNT Renews Falling Skies For A Third Season

Falling Skies

In what has quickly become the norm for basic cable's original productions, TNT has elected to pick up a third round of Falling Skies, just a few short weeks into season two of the post apocalyptic sci-fi/drama.

It's true that the numbers have taken a small dip this year, at least when compared to the downright great (for TNT) ratings the show garnered for its premiere season, but TNT is still more than satisfied with the current performance of the Steven Spielberg produced series.

One big factor in the decision to renew Falling Skies is that the series is a massive hit overseas, doing quite well in over 100 different markets. This in turn brings in big dollars for both TNT and production company Dreamworks Television, who license the show to other countries' TV providers. The better the show does over there, the more money TNT and Dreamworks can demand to supply them with new episodes.

As is the standard for TNT originals, the new season order is for a (woefully short) ten episodes. Now granted, this is just my opinion, but I find these ten episode seasons to be way too limiting. Especially with a show like Falling Skies, which doesn't tend to kick into high gear with the season's main storylines until the fourth or fifth episode. As much as I do dig the show, I'd say the cable standard of thirteen to sixteen episodes would lead to much more satisfying and detailed arcs. Again though, this is just a suggestion to improve an already really good show. I'll now get down off of my soapbox.

Do you enlist in the 2nd Mass every Sunday night? Or does Falling Skies fail to abduct your time?

Source: EW.com

- TNT
- Falling Skies

Written by: Michael Stevenson
Jul 12th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Message Posted On Feb 2nd, 2013, 11:51 pm
Great news it got renewed, I have been waiting so long to find out whats going to happen. I agree 10 episodes is way to short, The show takes too long to get deep into whats going on (Which I agree with) But then it ends and we have to wait months on end. They shoud do 13 episodes and only have a few months inbettween. I fear that they are trying to get people sucked in and then leave them hanging knowing they will come back to see what happened, This is proven by the way s2 ended. Anyhow keep the good work up guys, I know it must be hard filming the show and maybe thats why we have to wait so long. Falling skies all the way ;-)

Message Posted On Aug 5th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Great news on a third season. I agree 10 episodes isn't long enough for a season especially having to wait months for the next one to start. It's refreshing to find a channel and producers that take into consideration international viewing figures and not just US viewing figures when deciding what show to keep and what to cancel. Great work TNT and keep it up. Will wait for the end of this season and the start of the next eagerly :)

Message Posted On Jul 15th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Skiters rule!! That is all.
HEVIHITR

Mood: annoyed
Since: 28/Apr/09
Message Posted On Jul 14th, 2012, 11:18 am

great to see a third season, I feel there is more to tell in this story, wish terra nova and alot of ther shows got that chance, but maybe this is the start of a trent to keep good shows instead of whats popularised by the masses.

Carnage

Message Posted On Jul 13th, 2012, 11:40 am
Thank God. All I ever read is how new original shows are being cancelled. I agree 16 is better but considering the number of cancellations I'll settle for a guaranteed 10.
matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On Jul 13th, 2012, 3:14 am

HELLLLLS YEA! Thank you TNT!

Message Posted On Jul 13th, 2012, 12:46 am
I agree with what you saying wrt lengthining it but now for this show, it is perfect at 10 and i think that is what makes it a joy to watch waiting to see what happens next season. I fear though that S3 is the last one ;-) SOAPBox FTW!! :)
ankjevik

Message Posted On Jul 13th, 2012, 12:06 am

thats now surprise, but its still freaking awsome!!!!