"Revolution" Showrunner Eric Kripke Promises That He Knows Where The Show Will End Up

Revolution

The first screening of the new J.J. Abrams produced sci-fi series Revolution was one of the most divisive topics at last week's big Comic-Con event in San Diego. While opinions on the pilot were mixed, showrunner Eric Kripke (creator of The CW's Supernatural) made sure to promise the fans in attendance that he and the creative staff behind Revolution know exactly where the show's mysteries are headed.

"I can promise you we have the answers,” Kripke says. “The mythology will move forward at an aggressive pace, and we’ll ask new questions." Kripke realizes that viewers have become wary of high-concept series that have disappointing or rushed wrap-ups, and this was his way of trying to assuage that fear.

I really would like to believe him when he says things like this, but I don't know if I should. Let's look at his previous series for instance. Kripke claimed in multiple interviews that he had a strict five-season and done plan for Supernatural, and that the series would end in a permanent way. Here we are in 2012, and the show is heading into its eighth season. So much for the plan, eh Eric?

Now, I don't mean to pick on Kripke here. I understand that the network pressure for more seasons was probably impossible to resist in Supernatural's case. That said, the creators of Lost infamously promised answers to all the questions the show raised, and ended with a super-religious metaphysical conclusion that the show had never even hinted at. The writers of Awake repeatedly claimed to know the answers to the show's central mysteries, yet the series finale raised even more questions, without answering most of the original ones. Same goes for The Event, FlashForward, and Terra Nova. This of course leaves out the most infamous example of broken promises, that being The X-Files, which just seemed to completely forget most of its hanging plot threads.

What do you guys think? Is Eric Kripke being truthful when he claims to "have the answers"? Or is this more TV industry spin that will end with an unsatisfying result?

Source: EW.com

- Revolution (2012)
- Eric Kripke
- NBC

Written by: Michael Stevenson
Jul 17th, 2012, 3:36 am

Message Posted On Aug 11th, 2012, 12:34 pm
Kripke gave Supernatural his five season plan and then he pretty much lft the show. He said he tweaked the ending enough so the network could keep the show going, but he mostly kept his word on that one. Season 6 pretty much started an entirely new mythology without him.

Message Posted On Jul 21st, 2012, 8:34 am
Like all shows that appear to be interesting, they all end up cancelled. I know where this will end up.... CANCELLED. It's what the networks do. They need to constantly make room for new rubbish.
Brookerace

Since: 15/Sep/10
Message Posted On Jul 20th, 2012, 7:41 pm

The trailer does look impressive, however so many others have had me hooked, only for them to be cancelled, not just Terra Nova, Awake, Flash Forward and The Event, but V, Stargate Universe, Unforgetable and Alcatraz to name a few.

I think that the Networks responsible should have to sign up to a number of seasons before they "pull the plug" on a programme and let the viewers know right from the start how long it is expected to run. If the product is not good enough it should not get aired at all.

All new series should get a minimum of three seasons, so if the first season is poor for ratings, they have another to improve with better story lines, and if this still does not work, then they have the third season to wrap up all the loose ends.  Then die hard fans would at least not be wondering what if.

Message Posted On Jul 18th, 2012, 10:11 am
I really want to like this show. I enjoy serials and sci-fi especially. The trailer, however, just didn't hook me. It appears to be a less interesting version of Jericho. I'll still watch, of course, but the trailer made the series look underwhelming. And this was one of the shows I was most looking forward to from the early descriptions and due to the Supernatural "connection"......
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Jul 18th, 2012, 2:32 am

That's a fair point regarding Terra Nova Rtruell. The circumstances on that show are a bit different than the rest of the shows I listed, as the show was canceled long after the season finished filming. Although I would still pose the question as to why the creators of the series have not let the audience in on what they claimed to have had planned before the series was canceled.

As for the rest of them though, I feel my point stands. The producers of Awake, The Event, and FlashForward all promised that they had written "satisfying conclusions" that would answer most questions in case the shows did not make it to a second season. The ending to those shows answered practically nothing and just raised more questions that will never be resolved. And shows like X-Files, and Lost specifically promised that all questions would be answered, and ended with 90% of them still unanswered.

rtruell

Since: 17/Apr/12
Message Posted On Jul 18th, 2012, 1:09 am

Let's hope he's given a chance to prove that he's not lying about having all the answers.  But I don't think it's fair to include shows like Terra Nova in your examples of shows that lied about revealing all...after all, it's somewhat difficult for a show-runner to reveal all the answers when the show gets cancelled during the between-season hiatus, right as they're getting ready for the next season.  If the show hadn't been cancelled, who knows what answers we might have gotten in the next season...or the next, or the next.  It's not fair, or right, to call a person a liar when they haven't been given the chance to prove themselves.

ChathyRipley

Level 1
Message Posted On Jul 17th, 2012, 11:16 pm

The trailers are awesome, I think this would be very intresting show. I would love to see.

dlockjaw

Since: 08/Dec/08
Message Posted On Jul 17th, 2012, 2:50 pm

This promise rings a bit hollow given his track record, yet I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's just hope in his aggressive pace the network doesn't cut him off before any of his outstanding questions remain unanswered.

ankjevik

Message Posted On Jul 17th, 2012, 12:45 pm

I think this consept could be realy cool to see the outcome from, the trailer looks awsome. So therefore i realy am looking forwards to this premier!!!

Message Posted On Jul 17th, 2012, 9:21 am
You forgot to mention Ronald D. Moore's fiascos - Carnivale and Battlestar Galactica. Talk about empty promises. "...and they have a plan" my a**.
1 2 | Next page>>