Mad Men packed several gut-punch twists in its fifth season earlier this year, not the least of which was the sudden departure of Peggy Olsen from Sterling-Cooper-Draper-Pryce in the episode "The Other Woman." Seeing as Peggy's only apparent tie to the narrative of the series was her place in SCDP's creative department, speculation began to run rampant over whether or not Peggy (and actress Elisabeth Moss) would return for next year's season 6. An appearance in "The Phantom," the show's fifth season finale, did little to dispel those rumors. Creator and showrunner Matthew Weiner, on the other hand, finally took it upon himself to address those rumors on Thursday.
Speaking to TVLine, Weiner gave us a rare spoiler for the show's future. “[Peggy] is going to be on the show next year,” he said. “I can’t say how much, in what capacity or what [her story] is going to be, but she has not left the show. . . I will spoil that one tiny piece of anticipation and tell people that Elisabeth will be showing up to work.”
Weiner likened the speculation of her complete departure to the speculation that surrounded January Jones after her character, Betty Draper, divorced Don in the show's third season finale. "I never understood that," Weiner mused.
Weiner also confirmed that, despite no official confirmation, there will be a seventh series to air in 2014. “We cannot rely on the official language of things. There will be a Season 7,” he said. “Jon Hamm is signed on for it, I’m signed on for it… I mean, if Season 6 has one viewer… but I don’t think [ratings] is what it’s about. I think Season 7 has already been internationally sold… It’s going to happen.”
Check out the full interview with Weiner -- in which he also discusses the backlash against the prominence of Megan Draper -- over at TVLine.
Mad Men's sixth season will premiere in 2013.