We can't help but be sad about this one: actor Dominic West turned down a role in Game of Thrones season 3. The actor, who currently stars in the BBC period drama The Hour, recently shared how he'd almost been on the HBO fantasy drama.
"I was offered something on Game of Thrones, and unfortunately, I hadn't seen it," West told the Huffington Post's Maureen Ryan. "But my nephew and his father said, 'Gosh, Game of Thrones is the only great show on!' And I felt terrible, because I'd just turned them down."
West turned down the role for noble reasons; he didn't want to be away from his family for six months (though he might have misunderstood -- the shooting period was only six weeks). But still, it's a little sad to think about how great West would have been -- especially when you consider the role he was most likely being considered for.
He didn't recall the name during his interview with Ryan, but he did note that the character was "similar in stature or importance to Sean Bean's Season 1 character Ned Stark." Filming would have also taken place in Reykjavik, Iceland. For fans of the book series, that leaves very little mystery for who he was being considered for: Mance Rayder, the King-Beyond-the-Wall. He was mentioned several times in Game of Thrones' second season, and we last saw Jon on his way to see Mance.
"It was a lovely part, a good part. I'm going to regret it," he said. You can read West's full interview with the Huffington Post here.
No word yet on if another actor has yet been cast in the role as Mance.
West, who is perhaps most famous for his lead role as Detective Jimmy McNulty on the critically acclaimed HBO series The Wire, also won a BAFTA for his role as serial killer Fred West in last year's BBC series Appropriate Adult. You'll next be able to see him in October, when he reprises his role as newsman Hector Madden for the second season of BBC's The Hour.
Game of Thrones will return to HBO for its third season on March 31, 2013.