Joseph Gordon-Levitt Criticizes CNN, MSNBC as 'Bullsh*t'

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is having a busy summer. His newest film, 'The Dark Knight Rises,' is one of the biggest blockbusters of the summer, while he's promoting his upcoming film, the bike-messenger-centric Premium Rush. He's still got time, though, to dish out a little bit of disdain for the newsmedia.

In an interview with Playboy, Gordon-Levitt called major news outlets such as CNN and MSNBC "bullshit entertainment shows."

"Every time I sit down and watch television news, I think, 'This is show business,'" he said. "That’s what I do. I say, go on the internet and find news from all over the world through the BBC, the Pacifica stations, newspapers, people’s blogs and tweets. It’s so funny when people say Fox is bad. Sure Fox is bad, but I don’t think CNN and MSNBC are really any better."

Gordon-Levitt isn't just chanelling Jon Stewart, either. A lot of his opinions are based on what he witnessed in the Occupy Wall Street movement, as well as subsequent media coverage. "What I’ve seen on TV focuses on the superficial stuff," he said. "It’s a pretty simple notion: People who have lots of money—people in corporations who have tons of money—are malevolently manipulating the system to keep their money. And the rest of the world suffers for it. You could show a trillion examples of how Goldman Sachs, McDonald’s, Walmart and Monsanto are clearly fucking over everybody, but CNN, Fox and MSNBC are owned by Fortune 500 companies, so they never show any of it."

"[During the Occupy Wall Street movement] I had a lot of long conversations with all sorts of people -- kids, older people, some cops -- I talked to some people who look really rebellious, I talked to some people who were wearing a suit," he shared. "I talked to all sorts of people and everyone's just feeling really positive and optimistic. They look around and they see people who are on the same page, and they're not going to just sit around and say, 'Oh, there's nothing I can do,' and it's reassuring, it's exciting."

What do you think? Do you agree with Gordon-Levitt's assessment of the major news media?

Premium Rush, which also stars Boardwalk Empire's Michael Shannon, premieres August 24.

- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- CNN
- msnbc

Written by: mcpherson
Aug 16th, 2012, 3:49 am

Roboboy24

Message Posted On May 30th, 2013, 4:41 pm
Hey EvoQ and the rest of you, First learn how to spell. Then work on your grammar. What also helps is taking some time to collect your thoughts, decide what point(s) you're trying to make, then extend cogent thoughts and arguments to be considered by those that are reading your posts. Finally, the ability to actually form your own thoughts, instead of parroting the same old leftist, socialist ideology, will go a long way toward presenting something people may actually take time to think about. You know, instead of just laughing out loud and calling you fools. Oh, EvoQ, thanks for going off the grid, dude. the more of you that follow suit, the fewer losers the rest of us will have to deal with.
EvoQ

Since: 19/Sep/12
Message Posted On Feb 20th, 2013, 7:44 am

Hamatosan...You hit it right on the head of the issue. Great Job....We as Americans and even our Foreign bretheren have just accepted wht we see as News. We all know and Feel that our Politicians are all Liars and Corrupt as well the News Media too has an Agenda to fill. So we have just accepted this and gone on with our lives thinking what can we do. We can STOP watching this pure and utter BS which is called News. I gave up on watching News about 10 years ago because I knew in my Heart that they were not Reporting the Facts and were as Corrupt as Politicians are. I now get my news not from just one source but from several sources, then and Only then do I feel that my opinion making is somewhat based on Facts. We are Al Doomed until our Friends, Family, Countrymen, and World Wide Inhabitants choose to realize that WE are the Ones that have the Power. But We All have choosen to remained Enslaved to these Multi-National-Big-Business. The Super Billionaires of this world have Enslaved us all, they do Not play by the Same rules as we do, in fact they make up their Own Rules or anything goes when it comes to them. Well; I have had enough and am determined to Live my Life by My own rules. I am currently embarking on going off grid, growing and killing my own food as much as is possible to show others that it can be done. I am not buying this Mass Produced One Size Fits All BS, that Madison Ave. Slams down your throat 24/7/365. Well it is Not all about Money, it is about People and Interactions between People. That is Where ultimately lies, not in that New Car, or that 3500sq/ft house for 1-2 people. Wake Up People, cut those chains, and Join the Real Human Race.

Bush Accountability

Message Posted On Feb 11th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Al-jazeera is hardly controlled by "religious fanatics". It's a 24/7 hard news operation funded by the government of Qatar, perhaps America's closest ally in the Arab region. It has a well-earned reputation as one of the world's finest news organizations. It's English language operation employs a number of America's finest journalists. This is false depiction of al-Jazeera is residual ooze from the Bush era, when the US attacked an Al-jazeera bureau and killed a bunch of people out of pure stupidity. The main controversy over al-Jazeera is from the American right, who like to censor the news by ignoring it, omitting the parts that don't favor their position, or just making up stuff to add to it or alter it. Al-Jazeera makes the journalistically correct call by playing some of the recorded messages of al-Qaeda. This was also done, but disingenuously and selectively, by the Bush administration when they wanted to manipulate public fear for political purposes, such as to play up the al-Qaeda threat on the eve of the 2004 election accompanied by ridiculous Rovian rhetoric about Kerry not being able to keep the country safe and "not understanding the very real threat" posed by terrorism. That's how those incompetent, insincere, clueless, and dangerous chickenhawks duped people for about five of Bush's eight years and brought woes to this country that will drag on the United States decades to come.
IamX

Since: 30/Aug/12
Message Posted On Aug 29th, 2012, 10:55 pm

@ Anamon

Al Jazeera and BBC are not unbiased news sources. Al Jazeera has an agenda and is controlled by religious fanatics. Their news reporting is very selective. BBC news is and always has been controlled by all flavors of liberal and green party groupies. After watching several hours of their broadcasts it becomes obvious that they are biased to whatever underdog happens to be standing on a podium.

Just for info...I am not a Fox News fan. I get news from whatever source I think is telling me the truth and or the whole story without a sublevel agenda.

Anamon

Since: 26/Apr/11
Message Posted On Aug 29th, 2012, 6:19 am

So the headline claims something he didn't actually say, but what the heck, this is showbusiness! ;D

Well, I guess CNN do their fair share of selective reporting and manipulating impressions, but putting them on the same level as FOX News is a bit much, considering that the latter deliberately and knowingly lies. Sure CNN and many of its ilk are corporate establishment and far from independent, but most of FOX News does not qualify as journalism even in the most liberal definition of the word. I can't comment about MSNBC since I've never watched it, but I have heard that many of their shows aren't any better.

It's almost impossible these days to find a newspaper or news channel (or website, by all means) that still has actual journalists conducting research and presenting facts (plus some professional ethics too). 99% is blind copying of agency reports. The only news channels I would trust for actual news at the moment are the BBC and Al Jazeera English. You can see how passionate their reporters are, that they love what they do and want to do a good job. Especially Al Jazeera. I'd rather watch a channel that has actual people in the field investigating and talking to people, rather than one where correspondents in fancy suits can just about tell me what I could also read on the wire service, in a reputable-sounding voice.

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Aug 16th, 2012, 11:27 am
Nicely said, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. ****** Down with the dictatorship of the super-rich! ***** That ruling minority will not rest until our planet, which they claim as their own (to own), is in ruins.
PaulMcG

Message Posted On Aug 16th, 2012, 5:45 am
I respected his choices as an actor and now I respect him even more for his sensible, well thought out and well informed opinions. Joseph is not some Hollywood automaton and I hope he stays that way.
Hamatosan

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Aug 16th, 2012, 4:43 am

And if you read it, he's not calling CNN bullshit. This is really misleading.

Hamatosan

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Aug 16th, 2012, 4:42 am

This headline is pretty misleading, with what he actually said. He didn't call MSNBC bullshit. He criticized ALL cable media outlets.

"My parents are political in that they’re well read and as up on the news as anybody I know. To me that is political activism, choosing to stay informed and not just watching CNN or some bullshit entertainment show. Every time I sit down and watch television news, I think, This is show business. That’s what I do. I say, go on the internet and find news from all over the world through the BBC, the Pacifica stations, newspapers, people’s blogs and tweets. It’s so funny when people say Fox is bad. Sure Fox is bad, but I don’t think CNN and MSNBC are really any better."