FX to Air Scrapped Pilot 'Outlaw Country' as TV Movie

FX has a pretty solid slate of good television. Justified, Louie, Sons of Anarchy, Archer, Wilfred, and American Horror Story are some of its best (we're ignoring the fact that Anger Management exists). But some of the network's shows just don't make the cut. Take, for instance, the pilot Outlaw Country, which was greenlit two years ago. Like the superhero pilot Powers, which was commissioned at about the same time, FX decided not to continue past Outlaw Country's pilot, effectively leaving it dead in the water.

But instead of just letting it molder away, unseen, FX is planning to air Outlaw Country's pilot as a TV movie this Friday.

Outlaw Country sounds quite a bit like Justified, which might be one of the reasons it didn't make the cut. The pilot was a Southern-twanged family drama set in Nashville, Tennessee, and dealt with organized crime in the music capital (in other words, it's a very different beast from ABC's new Hayden Panettiere series). It starred Luke Grimes, Haley Bennett, Mary Steenburgen, and -- here's the selling point -- Academy Award-nominated actor John Hawkes (pictured).

The pilot apparently is an hour-and-a-half long, meaning that it's perfect to air as its own standalone film, despite not being planned as such. The pilot will air this Friday at 10/9c, right after FX airs a showing of the Best Picture winning Martin Scorsese flick The Departed.

If you're interested in seeing what might have been, you can check out Outlaw Country when it airs. Personally, I'll prefer to keep my FX southern crime series queue pared down to just the excellent Justified, thank you.

- John Hawkes
- FX

Written by: mcpherson
Aug 22nd, 2012, 3:56 pm

That is all

Message Posted On Dec 28th, 2013, 5:03 pm
Why do the idiots always scrap the stuff that is good!!! Where can I get the music from the pilot from???
dixiegirl

Message Posted On Sep 16th, 2013, 4:19 am
I watched Outlaw Country last night on Netflix. I loved it loved it loved it!!! Can't tell you how upset I am over the fact that I will I won't see anymore of this movie!I wish I could get more!!! For those of us that love this movie need to find out how we could get it wrote and continued!!!

Message Posted On Sep 24th, 2012, 11:06 pm
I have been waiting for it for year to watch country outlaw i was a extra in the movie and i missed it i sure hope it will air again being there seemed like ti would been a great movie fox dont know what their missing

Message Posted On Sep 17th, 2012, 7:46 am
This show, "Outlaw Country" would be like if Justified and Son of Anarchy got together and had a baby. Then you throw in a little country music. The pilot was freaking awesome. Really dissapointed that they are going to leave us hanging. Just putting out the pilot was a tease.
Kai

Message Posted On Sep 11th, 2012, 9:43 am
I would have loved to watch Outlaw Country! It was great!!
Juha

Message Posted On Sep 10th, 2012, 10:17 pm
Loved it wish they made more. justified cross SOA the two best shows on FX and it didnt make the cut? should have ran it in the off season to make the wait for more justified not as long, liked the music aspect as well even though it wasnt the type of music i would usually listen to.
love John Hawkes

Message Posted On Aug 29th, 2012, 9:34 am
I watched it and I did not know it was not going to continue.I really liked it and the actors and actresses in the movie.I wish the series was going to continue. It is not like Justified and I really love that show too!!!
Tvcritic

Message Posted On Aug 25th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Hey fx Come on make outlaw country a movie or pilot Was a fantastic start
Outlaw

Message Posted On Aug 25th, 2012, 12:05 pm
It was incredibly good Must better than sons of anarchy Darn I didn't realize it was a pilot bummed won't continue! Chemistry between leads great music evil lurking outlaw country was really good
fulgrogg

Points: 2
Since: 30/Mar/11
Message Posted On Aug 23rd, 2012, 3:31 am

Silly not to watch it if it airs...