ABC wants Malin Akerman as their 'Trophy Wife'

ABC picked up a property for a single-camera comedy pilot 'Trophy Wife,' and they wasted no time bending down on one knee to propose to Malin Akerman.

Malin Akerman

Deadline.com is exclusively reporting that Akerman ('Suburgatory') is in negotiations to star in 'Trophy Wife' as a reformed party-girl named Kate who falls in love with a man who has three manipulative children and two condescending ex-wives. Kate's life goes from being all about her to suddenly comprising this entire extended family and, hopefully, hilarity will ensue.

Written and Exec Produced by Emily Halpern ('Private Practice') and Sarah Haskins ('Infomania'), 'Trophy Wife' is also being backed by the writers of the hit Cameron Diaz flick 'Bad Teacher,' Lee Eisenberg & Gene Stupnitsky.

Akerman is considering stepping up to the plate for ABC once again, after starring in last season's pilot 'Smart One.' Akerman has a number of feature films in development and television networks have been eager to attach her to a series, as her stock is likely to rise even further when 'CBGB' is released in 2013 (co-starring Alan Rickman and Rupert Grint). With a whopping six features in development to follow 'CBGB,' it's a wonder Akerman has even found the time for negotiations with ABC, let alone a pilot.

As an actress, Akerman has always showcased her comedic talents along with her drama, so these negotiations show a continued refusal to be typecast--or to be cast only for her trophy-worthy good looks.

Akerman bikini

- Malin Akerman
- ABC

Written by: bad_subject
Sep 14th, 2012, 4:57 am

msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 16th, 2012, 1:23 am

Wow Anonypuss, now THAT is a comment. :)

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Sep 15th, 2012, 11:53 pm
Thanks, I appreciate that. Aside from tv reviews, and using imdb or Wikipedia to complement some minor derails (cast list, etc.), I virtually make exclusive use of tvrage for anything tv-related, and have been for years. **** I don't think it's overstating to say that the past decade has ushered a Television renaissance. In my mind, it began with HBO's 'Oz,' and by the time Battlestar Galactica made its ascent, a Golden Age of Television seemed to be emerging **** And now, Good Television has never been so good (and perhaps, also bad Television has never been so bad - I highly recommend 'The Soup,' for further insights and hilarities from that realm; of course, bad is always bad, "Jerry-Jerry!"). **** But, returning to Good: The breadth and depth and scope and expanse and expense of TV productions, coupled with the advent of hi-res and high-definition audiovideo (quality that in prior decades was the exclusive domain of cinema), Television is now able to deliver high-quality content and hitherto unparalleled aesthetics, like never before. **** I see an overarching trend behind some of my favourite top dramatic show (top of my head) such as: 'Game of Thrones,' 'Breaking Bad,' 'Boss,' 'Spartacus,' 'Justified,' Walking Dead, and many others; as well as Comedic revivals ('Futurama,' 'Arrested Development,' etc.) and staples; as well as the increasing rise of shows (and entire channels) dedicated to Science and Nature and History. Perhaps other differ, but I get the sense that these new heights -like, for example, 'Game of Thrones' doing to TV fantasy what Galactica did with TV scifi- do not seem to be diminishing (hopefully I didn't just jinx it!) **** And, despite the increasingly intensive and worrisome trend of scorching so, so much potential, mostly on the part of 'The Networks,' whose respect for our time, and minds (lack thereof, rather), has never been more evident (almost as evident as their otherwise growing disorientation). Still, for every NBC or ABC who cancel (and at times even violently expunge) a show faster than they are able to broadcast it, there are the Starz, AMC, HBO, IFC, FX, Showcase, and others, who are, mercifully, taking the reigns from The Networks, and doing so with infinitely greater maturity and patience **** And so, without abandoning one's critical faculties, I feel it is still fair to say that Television has seen a transformative exponential upwards shift since the 1990s (in comparing it versus the first-ish decade of the 21st Century) **** And throughout all that, one website has risen above all others: it has the simplest (yet-all-encompassing), most intelligible layout, especially for the weekly/daily schedule list, and it has elegant and intelligent TV news stories. **** Consider the one day tvrage was down for maintenance, when I truly realized just how lacking tvguide, tvtome, and the other tvrage would-be "peers" are (needless to say, they did not make it easy or simple, at least for my varied tastes; and the level of adspam was...not insignificant). Basically, I just wanted to know what was on that Evening, but their various schedule lists were so filled with holes; I was forced to go from one site to an adspammy other and then the other, and back again because I forgot -and all I f-ing wanted was the a (singular) simple and holistic tvrage-like schedule list, but none was to be found, anywhere (which actually surprised me a fair bit) **** I've been writing for lack 20-minutes straight, so I'll sum up by saying that: We have it really good with tvrage; where a talented, dedicated crew of volunteers is putting multi-million-dollar websites of multi-billion-dollar corporate behemoths to shame, year after year after year (a tendency which hints at broader lessons). **** So, when I say it, I really mean it: Keep_up_the_great_work!
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 14th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Your apology is very much accepted Anonypuss. I'm glad the whole misunderstanding has been cleared up. It's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. And thank you for being a consistent reader and commenter on our site. Whether you guys praise our articles, or call us out on a mistake, your feedback lets us know that we have a loyal group of readers and that the time we spend writing all these pieces is worth it.

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Sep 14th, 2012, 11:36 am
msd85 - I owe everyone, and Sam especially a wholehearted Mea culpa: now I see that I ended up conflating " news / 2135 / fringe-season-5-premiere-promo-photos-released " ***[[[with]]]*** " news / 2147 / fringe-season-5-showrunner-j-h-wyman-reveals-new-photos-from-the-future " [and, in light of several replies, I am finding that original comment not have been that intelligent, to begin with] *** Therefore, I, humbly, extend a personal apology to Sam McPherson for pulling an unwarranted Romney on him; and also a public apology to the site, overall. Noting that, indeed, nobody has censored anything I have written here, ever (and especially seeing as I often write dangerously!). *** So, thank you for your attention and understanding, Staff-of-Tvrage. It is greatly appreciated. And keep up the great work!
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 14th, 2012, 11:05 am

You can't honestly expect somebody writing an English language article to constantly go out of their way to insert that symbol above Akerman's name Fulgrogg. It would be way too much time spent proof-reading every instance of her name to fix something that only Swedes such as yourself would probably ever notice.

fulgrogg

Points: 2
Since: 30/Mar/11
Message Posted On Sep 14th, 2012, 10:38 am

Ã…kerman ffs. Not Akerman.

msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 14th, 2012, 9:16 am

As I just said to you on the other article Anonypuss, Sam doesn't have the ability to delete comments. As a rule, the site as a whole generally doesn't delete comments unless they're determined to contain racism or other hate speech, or are unnecessarily sexually graphic in nature. Comments aren't deleted just for being contrary to the author. So, as I said, tell me which of your comments are disappearing, and I'd be happy to look into it for you.

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Sep 14th, 2012, 9:02 am
p.s. Correction: misread ABC as NBC - still, almost as bad.
Anonypuss

Message Posted On Sep 14th, 2012, 9:00 am
Malin Akerman has long been playing Doctor Valerie Flame in the (hilarious, awesome) Rob Corddry/David Wain comedy device 'Childrens Hospital' (episode six of season four was broadcasted yesterday). If she had a scant appearance on the (somewhat cute) 'Suburgatory,' I think most of us missed it. (but, on closer examination, imdb says" yes, she appeared in two Suburgatory episodes - versus - 27 Childrens Hospital ones). So, yeah, odd emphasis. **** But, I digress. She is talented (and hot) and Anonypuss is wishing her and the new show (but not NBC-which sucks and ought to get off of the stage!) much success. **** p.s. please, no pulling a Sam McPherson and deleting this post due to its annoyance level to the article author-please!