Fall TV Dead Pool, five shows destined for cancellation

Once again its fall and time for the networks to parade their best, and worst, new shows before eager viewers hoping to find a new obsession or two.  Many will fail, few will succeed, and more than a couple will be completely dead on arrival.  We’ve checked out dozens of the newest shows coming to television this season and we’re ready to call the worst of the worst.  Here’s our list of the Fall TV Dead Pool, five shows destined for cancelation.

One – “Beauty and the Beast”

Once upon a time there was a bold primetime drama of Beauty and the Beast.  For many of us, it was our first introduction to one Ron Perlman, who played a quite literal Beast, fur and all, to Linda Hamilton’s Beauty, a crusading District Attorney.  Flash forward to the present and a lukewarm reboot on the youth obsessed CW, featuring the stunning and always pouty Kristin Kreuk as a tough as nails (seriously) homicide detective, and some Abercrombie and Fitch  model as the “beast”.  In CW land, having a slight scar on your cheek makes you a beast, as long as you have six pack abs.  Don’t worry though, apparently as the series goes on we find out this Beast is just beastly on the inside.  Not that anyone will stay tuned in long enough to find out.

Reason it will fail:  Well, for one thing CW doesn’t get the whole point of “Beauty and the Beast” to begin with.

Two – “Go On”

In Go On, Matthew Perry plays … some guy played by Matthew Perry?  I’m not really sure what his character is supposed to represent, some cranky radio show host who goes to group therapy to find his feelings.

I thought we established with Mr. Sunshine that Matthew Perry can’t carry a show by merely being there.  To the development execs still wondering why they can’t evoke Perry’s glory days on Friends:  It’s because he was part of an ensemble.  Got that?  If you’re going to try to prop him up in his own sitcom at least give him a story that features him as something other than rich, spoiled, or insensitive.

Reason it will fail:  Someone overestimated Matthew Perry's solo appeal -- again.

Three – “Revolution”

Truth be known, Revolution is one of the better new shows on this season.  The reason I count it among the DOA is that NBC has absolutely no idea how to market it.  Yes they’ve put tons of money into hyping this new show from JJ Abrams, Eric Kripke, and Jon Favreau — only to air it at 10pm Monday after “The Voice”?!  The show is ideal family viewing, which makes it a perfect 8pm show.  That was the timeslot that kick started such other Family Friendly serials as LOST and Heroes.  Revolution has everything needed to lure those same audience numbers, but they’ll never find them at 10pm.

Reason it will fail:  NBC and their crappy scheduling practices.

Page: 1 2

- CW
- NBC
- FOX
- J.J. Abrams
- Kristin Kreuk
- Deception
- The Mob Doctor
- Beauty and the Beast (2012)
- Go On
- Revolution (2012)

Written by: bnyle
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:26 am

Toni_c

Message Posted On Dec 29th, 2012, 10:10 am
what I can't understand is why go off ratings in just 1 country, why can't you see what other countries think of the show before killing the show off as for most of these shows don't come to Australia till 2013.

Message Posted On Dec 10th, 2012, 8:55 am
I disagree bout beauty and the beast, I think the show is pretty good tho it could be better. The actions there, strong story, and as for people moaning he's not really beastly.. what have YOU been watching? he transforms into a beast, his face looks beastly. Just because he's not covered in hair and don't look like he's been interbred by a human/lion does not infact mean he's not a beast. Don't get me wrong.. I was a major fan of the original t.v. series and I got to say this modern version is a good watch. As far as Revolution goes.. that show is just getting worse and worse by the week, lets walk about somewhere, have a chat, shoot at people, or get shot at wether its in a sewer or a house or even in some woods, every episode's the same, just don't know how you can compare this utter bull to heroes or lost, though lost totally destroyed ANY fanbase it had at the end with that rediculous ending, heroes was AWSOME. As far as the other programmes go I've not watched them so can't possibly comment on them.
ridan

Message Posted On Oct 19th, 2012, 1:46 am
Have you actually watched Matthew Perry on 'Go On' he is at his quirky brilliant best because he has a cast full of characters to play off, at the station and in therapy. And the Mob Doctor is not a comedy, doesn't present as a comedy and is good viewing.
TVVD

Since: 01/Jan/09
Message Posted On Oct 13th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Mob Doctor is a great idea.  American Dad used that in an episode recently.  That mob was all "handicapable"; thus, their need for a doctor.  In any circumstance, it's such a campy idea that actually writing a dramatic series around it is an interesting challenge.  That in itself deserves points.

I only watched the pilot.  Pilots, for me, are the worst show in a successful series usually.  They're all set up, detail, detail, precursor to the action.  As pilots go, this wasn't bad.  The problem was the actress who plays The Mob Doctor.  I don't know her name.  I don't want to know her name.  I know I've seen her before, because when I recognized her, a warning went off in my TV-lovin' brain.  After a few minutes, I realized why.  The actress is one of those blank expression, poker-face, unflappable Stepford actresses, who doesn't understand humans from this planet incorporate a range of emotions.  She wasn't horrible.  She had her moments.  Kind of like Chelsea Handler's comedy.  Bitch, bitch, bitch, punchline.  And not much variety.  Because of her, this just isn't my RX.

raven.sirius

Since: 23/Sep/11
Message Posted On Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:02 pm
The reason why Revolution will not make it has much less to do with it's timeslot and more to do with it's complete lack of storytelling integrity! One would expect something far greater from this team of producers...
Morning_Star
(Crazed Contributor)

Mood: Like I have a brand new god
Since: 20/Oct/06
Message Posted On Sep 18th, 2012, 2:00 am

Beauty and the Beast just has "short term" stamped all over it. And that whole "I'm ugly because I have a scar" angle makes me want to vomit. They could have at least gotten a more homely looking actor. It's like they're not even trying.

kyleiam
(Crazed Contributor)

Since: 22/Aug/12
Message Posted On Sep 17th, 2012, 11:35 pm

"Go On" is kind of an ensemble comedy as well. Perry's the dude that ties it together, but between the group and his co-workers there are plenty of strong supporting players.

That said, I can see it getting canceled pretty much just because it's on NBC.

Message Posted On Sep 17th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Everything you wrote about Infamous you could have repeated for "The Mindy Project"... since it sounds too much like a reproduction of the Australian show "Offspring" which is better viewing than most of the shows running. I'm not looking forward to the Americanized version of it.
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 17th, 2012, 3:54 pm

FWIW Ridgecliff, as a colleague of Barry's, I happen to know for a fact that he's seen at least the pilot episode of Go On. That said, it's obvious you and he greatly disagree on the quality of the show. But hey, to paraphrase The Dude, those are just, like, your opinions man. And thanks for taking the time to read and comment regardless. :)

Ridgecliff

Message Posted On Sep 17th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Don't really agree with "Go on" and you obviously haven't even watched the show since it doesn't seem like you even know the premise. Perry doesn't play " some cranky radio show host who goes to group therapy to find his feelings." His wife died and he's going to grief counseling and I think that gives him plenty of reasons to be cranky. This show perfectly presents that even in times of great sorrow in people's lives we should try and find some happiness, to "Go on" with our own lives.
1 2 | Next page>>