'Animal Practice' Protested By PETA

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals aren't monkeying around.

In response to new NBC comedy Animal Practice, which prominently features a female capuchin monkey as part of its cast, the well-known animal rights group is planning a protest on Wednesday in front of NBC Studios in Hollywood.

Animal Practice

PETA has asked that participants in the protest dress in black and announced that they will be providing monkey masks for everyone to wear, although as of this writing, only thirty people have confirmed that they will be attending via the Facebook page that has been set up.

According to PETA, "There is nothing glamorous about showbiz for primates, big cats, bears, and other animals who are used in television, film, or advertising; exploited as sports mascots; or used as props in novelty displays. Torn away from their mothers as infants, these animals are subjected to abusive training methods and forced to spend most of their lives in small, filthy cages, deprived of everything that is natural and important to them."

Centered around top veterinarian Dr. George Coleman (Justin Kirk) and his impressive list of famous animal patients, Animal Practice is set in a bustling New York City vet clinic where it often seems as if the inmates are running the asylum. The show already earned outrage this summer when NBC decided to cut into the closing ceremonies of the Summer Olympics to air a special preview of its series premiere.

Do you think this is all monkey business, or does PETA have a point?

- Animal Practice
- NBC

Written by: Chrononaut
Sep 18th, 2012, 8:00 am

I hate peta

Message Posted On Aug 31st, 2013, 7:39 am
No one can blame peta (or anyone else, for that matter) for thinking the wild is where wild animals SHOULD be, but they should be in an environment that makes sense. (Imagine finding a polar bear in the hot dry sunny desert!)

Message Posted On Nov 1st, 2012, 10:47 am
I like this show a lot, it is something different compared to all the other medical shows that just focus around human medicine. It was nice to see a show about animal medicine. I'm a student in college working my way to become a veterinarian, and I'm also a certified Vet assistant. I understand that many animals are abused everyday, I know I have seen many animals and it's nice that Peta is focusing on animal abuse, but I think PETA is going too overboard with this topic. YES it is wrong to use animals for entertainment purposes,many animals are being taken away from their parents at young ages and are forced to entertain us. But if you think about it, isn't this what we are doing to our regular pets. We took dogs and cats (rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, birds..etc) from their natural habitat and forced them to be tamed just so we can have a pet (something to keep us company, or something we can take care of). And many puppies and Kittens are taken away from their mothers at a young age to go to another home, just like the animal actors that PETA Was talking about. So PETA can complain that owning a pet is abuse. PETA shouldn't complain about the show unless they know for sure the monkey was being abused. Sometimes domesticating an animal can save it's life. The sad fact is that a lot of wild habitat is being destroyed, and eventually "THE WILD" won't exist anymore, because of Humans destroying it. One of the vets I used to work for told me a story once about how they saw a mother and baby deer get hit by a car on the road, he tried to help the mother but couldn't, the baby deer he was able to help, and when the baby deer recovered, he was afraid to have it go back out in the wild because it didn't have a mother, and he was afraid that the deer would either get hit by a car again or may become a target for hunters. So he had the deer sent to a wildlife sanctuary. I know that the wild is the best place, but like I said before because of humans the wild is disappearing. I'm not saying that people should keep wild animals as pets. It's wrong too keep a wild animal as a pet. It's stupid for someone to try and think they can make a house cat out of a tiger or a lion, but being in a "captivity" setting such as a zoo or a sanctuary could save their life. Also I think this show was good because it showed people that animals are important too and deserve the same respect that us humans have.

Message Posted On Nov 1st, 2012, 1:32 am
please bring back Animal Practice is a good program

Message Posted On Oct 31st, 2012, 7:33 pm
I have no doubt that the things they say, happens to some animals. But that doesn't mean it happens to all animals. I hear that Chrystal is very well treated and lives with her trainer. You can't punish some because of the bad things that creeps do.
clairfairy

Message Posted On Oct 30th, 2012, 9:58 pm
aahhh but now the show has been cancelled!!! :-( get a life campaigners, thats showbusiness, or in this case monkey business, and peta should be ashamed.
clairfairy

Message Posted On Oct 30th, 2012, 9:54 pm
what about skippy and beethoven film and any other programme containing trained animals? havent we gone to far with the animal activists? this is one of the funniest shows on tv (up until cancellation) and that has a lot to do with that little monkey, who im assuming is treated like a king, and cared for like any tv pet personality.. i have no idea who peta are but i tend to agree with the previous post.. gone to far, dont these acrivist have anyhthing more important to campagne about, like the REAL abuse of animals, like people who buy pet and mistreat them, or use dogs to fight them. the world has gone monkey nuts.... and my fave show has been cancedlled!!! no fair
Go British

Message Posted On Oct 10th, 2012, 5:32 pm
Do PETA know for sure that this monkey has been treated the way they claim? I doubt it. Whilst I will not condemn PETA, they shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. As for Animal Practice cutting the end of the Olympics, it's hardly the shows fault. NBC made the decision to air it at that time.
peta sucks

Message Posted On Oct 1st, 2012, 4:46 am
People Eating Tasty Animals: Unethical psychopaths for animals since 1980
Morning_Star
(Crazed Contributor)

Mood: Like I have a brand new god
Since: 20/Oct/06
Message Posted On Sep 20th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Everything I need to know about PETA I've learned from that episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit!  Of course, South Park added, "PETA doesn't care about people."

msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Sep 19th, 2012, 6:18 am

I agree with the last two comments. I'm all for being kind and fair to animals, but PETA as an organization is just a bunch of incompetent buffoons. PETA is the equivalent of an ambulance chasing lawyer, always waiting in the wings to pounce on anything that gives them the opportunity to complain and grab a little publicity. Not to mention the fact that they euthanize thousands of animals every year at their shelters. That right there is the height of hypocrisy.

1 2 | Next page>>