After cellphone video of an "American Idol" judge's panel breakdown hit the world wide web earlier this week, there was much talk of publicity stunts, faux reality, and real potential cat-fighting.
Well, we can't have any of that. "Idol" producers have chosen to attempt to put the fires out instead of fanning the flames leading up to the season premiere. In an official statement Friday, producers said "This is one of the best, most passionate, dynamic and invested judging panels we’ve ever had. We love and support all of the judges and the fantastic work they are doing, and we can’t imagine a better group to find the next American Idol. Despite all the accusations and media speculation — much of which is inaccurate — production is going extremely well today and the judges are focused on finding the best talent here in Baton Rouge.”
Following the release of the TMZ video, screaming matches turned into death threats, as Mariah Carey told ABC News' Barbara Walters that she has hired extra security after Nicki Minaj threatened to shoot her. However despite Carey's claims of the very public threat, producer Nigel Lythgoe remains skeptical, telling TMZ the gun threat was “absolutely not true in any way, shape or form.”
Indeed, it appears the rumors of a gun threat were a bit too much for producers of the family-friendly singing competition to sit idly by and revel in the hype for the upcoming season, prompting the statement. That said, if you choose to lie down with a dog...