'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan comes clean about 2010 suicide attempt

Cesar Milan surrounded by four dogs, smiling at the camera

Cesar Millan, while being an expert on dog psychology, had to dig a little deeper in recent years to deal with his own battle against depression and prescription drug abuse. In May 2010, Millan resorted to a suicide attempt as a result of his ongoing fight with depression. The animal expert had been taking antidepressants to deal with the recent death of his pit-bull “Daddy” as well as the looming divorce from his wife of 16 years. He succumbed to the stress and pressure of these events and attempted suicide through overdose. He has since opened up about this event and has even discussed his depression with fans on his website.

"I have always been honest with my fans, which means being open about any struggles I have had along the way," says Millan. "It was important for me to explain all the aspects that have led to my new chapter. Although it was a dark moment for me, it showed me that I still needed to be here and I have a lot more to do."

Millan says his journey to recovery was aided greatly by two things: exercise and work. He began to work out his problems at the gym, losing 25 pounds in two weeks. He threw himself into his work, retreating to his Dog Psychology Centre and began developing a documentary on his life as well as a brand new season of “Dog Whisperer”.

Cesar Millan with dog “Daddy”, who passed away in 2010Millan’s documentary, “Cesar Millan: The Real Story”, will premiere on Sunday November 25th on Nat Geo WILD and will go into detail about Millan’s rise to fame, from poverty to pack leader, as well as his personal and family struggles along the way.

Millan continues to encourage pet owners to become the Pack Leaders in their own lives, and is setting the example himself through both personal and professional triumphs. With new shows on the way and he is more positive and happy than ever, and has admitted that he plans to propose to partner Jahira Dar soon.

“My life and career have made for a remarkable journey,” says Cesar. “It is very rewarding to look back at where I began and to see how far I have been able to come. I feel like this is only the beginning!”.

- The Dog Whisperer
- Cesar Millan

Written by: Rachel Anne
Nov 18th, 2012, 8:55 pm

sandpiperbeach

Message Posted On Apr 2nd, 2014, 4:46 am
I love your heart, Cesar Milan. I love your ability to listen and create harmony among dogs and people. You get in there and give it your all. Thank-you for sharing your wisdom and inspiration to us all around the world, and keep your head and your heart up and open. Many blessings of joy and healing to you and your family and your extended family of dogs, wolves, cats and people... trying to get along in this challenging world.

Message Posted On Dec 22nd, 2013, 2:53 am
I have a pitbull name hate over in a metal and today was my first time buy me some rollerblades I watch your show and you wrote about in with your dogs. I thought that was so awesome to see so I tried it out at all my god it was like a workout I did not know I can sweat and the dog concert at the same time and I enjoyed myself and I want to thank you so much could you bought something at me that I feel like I'm free again I just didn't know my god I'm I was so stressed out for Christmas and now I'm not stressed out no more because of your. If I get your doctor to just really relaxed me and help me I enjoyed it and I have some I have like six dogs and I can't wait to do it again I want to thank you so much from the bottom of my heart San Antonio Texas Michelle Mitchell

Message Posted On Jun 30th, 2013, 7:12 am
Antidepressants are not a controlled substance. I've never heard of anyone overdosing on antidepressants. They could get sick, but would have to take a massive dose probably at least 2000 or have a heart condition or some other illness to die from this. He must have been on benzos, I'm guessing Xanax.
Believer

Message Posted On Mar 5th, 2013, 4:24 am
I think Cesar Milan is a very special person and I truly hope he can overcome his depression. I am sure that his dogs will bring him comfort and our prayers go out to hi

Message Posted On Jan 30th, 2013, 10:43 am
Cesar really inspires me on his shows & from this message that he shares, i lost my beloved dog after 16 years & know how difficult it is, my life will never be the same & there is not a day that goes by that I do not think of her & miss her, I think beable to love an animal like that is a gift that not everyon has. Keep on going Cesar no matter what life throws at you, use your gifts to help others! All the best

Message Posted On Jan 27th, 2013, 8:06 am
Good for Cesar. Can't leave that stuff bottled up. You can see he has softened up over the years. It's good to watch his journey too. Good luck Mr Milan! I hope the future looks brighter for you.
Anonypuss

Message Posted On Nov 19th, 2012, 9:27 am
Wishing all the best to this wonderful and remarkable human being!