'Merlin' ending after fifth season

Merlin

Merlin will be casting spells no more.

The fantasy series Merlin, which airs on BBC One, will wrap up its run this Christmas with a grand finale that features the fight for Camelot.

The co-creators of the series - Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy - say that the show has reached its natural ending point but have not closed the door on the possibility of spin-offs. Capps and Murphy are leaving Shine TV, which produced the series, to set up their own TV label.

Shine is interested in creating spin-offs set in the Merlin universe. Does that mean that Colin Morgan, Bradley James and Katie McGrath, the stars of this series, could play their beloved roles once more?

Merlin has been a solid part of the BBC's premiere channels Saturday night. It also airs in the United States on Syfy. It airs in Germany on Super RTL, in France on Canal Plus and on Australia's Network Ten.

"We always felt the story of the legend was best told across five series, leading to a spectacular finale that draws on the best known elements of this much-loved story and brings to a conclusion the battle for Camelot," said the creators.

"I admire the creators’ decision to end Merlin on a high, but also know that we will miss it in the BBC One schedule," said BBC One controller Danny Cohen.

Will you miss Merlin?

- Merlin (2008)
- BBC one

Written by: Hamatosan
Nov 25th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Message Posted On Mar 18th, 2013, 12:48 pm
I don't understant why it is at an end. There is so much to do with the series. Arthur just found out about magic and even the legend has much more to offer. I thing ending merlin is the worst desision that could have been made. Merlin is not just a show on television but the most brilliant thing out there in media. I still check every day for news on merlin coming back because its almost unbelievable it has ended with so much more to show
Dozza

Message Posted On Jan 26th, 2013, 4:25 pm
Yes, definitely will miss Merlin. Don't want it to end, pls make another season where Arthur comes back to life somehow. Love the show so pls makeover episodes!!!!

Message Posted On Jan 3rd, 2013, 3:27 am
It is THE best show EVER!! I will miss it so much !!
Mrs oneye

Message Posted On Dec 27th, 2012, 10:57 pm
i love to see merlin on movie story but cont from merlin 5...i really love n like to watch story like this like fantasy..ending story for merlin 5 so sad..athur died...how it can back again with merlin..tq

Message Posted On Nov 30th, 2012, 9:59 am
Totally awesome out of all the tv i have watched (alot) its by far the best television series out there No. 1 on my list and should be on everyone else's as well.
mcw

Since: 03/Jan/10
Message Posted On Nov 26th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Another great show gone :(

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Nov 26th, 2012, 4:14 pm
I was a pretty devoted viewer, but then during season three I seem to have lost interest. (The formula was getting a bit too repetitive, I was finding, especially the interpersonal interactions and, barring Morgana -I like Katie McGrath, incidentally- rather static character arcs.) *** Which is rare for me, if I'm into more than a season, certainly, I rarely fail to keep going, even when the respective show degenerates(which, unfortunately, isn't that rare). Throughout this time, I was considering catching up with and watching the rest of episodes I missed, but it hasn't been too much of a priority, it seems. *** At any event, not too surprised to learn that BBC axed it. I only hope that there will be a new BBC fantasy show to take its place. (Enough procedurals, BBC, you have like 800 of em - we get it, your cops don't have guns, sheesh! - and that's partially why I kept on with Merlin from the beginning; just so few fantasy and scifi coming from Britons, I wonder dry that is...(?) And when is 'Fades' season two happening, anyway?
Another Anonymous

Message Posted On Nov 26th, 2012, 3:32 pm
The show has been really sucky for some time now and has become so far departed from any semblance of the Arthurian legends that I can't help think of it as just another generic sword and sorcery show that plods along week after week without breaking any new ground.

Message Posted On Nov 26th, 2012, 3:40 am