Whitney Cummings hypes new E! talk show

As Whitney Cummings can tell you, a lot can happen in two years. In the span of about two years, the comedian has gone from guest appearances on E!'s "Chelsea Lately" and stand-up work to three (count 'em, THREE) series.

Whitney Cummings

Cummings is co-creator (with "Sex & The City"'s Michael Patrick King), producer and writer on CBS's hit "2 Broke Girls" as well as her own NBC sitcom appropriately titled "Whitney." Tonight, she adds another project to her already full plate, following in the footsteps of friend Chelsea Handler by hosting a weekly half-hour talk show on E!, entitled "Love You, Mean It With Whitney Cummings."

The comedian relishes the challenge of juggling the various projects, telling Zap2It, "I haven't actually done this yet, so it has actually to be proven that I can do all three of these shows and survive it. We'll see, but frankly, I'm not entirely confident that I'll live through it," she joked. "What I am most OCD and detail-oriented about is in finding the right staff and writers to choose, and that's what I am putting a ton of energy into right now so I know that I have a great team around me."

Cummings acknowledges following in the footsteps of friend and comedic peer Chelsea Handler, but is confident that her show will have a very different feel. "I'm going to be doing my show sober, so there's a difference -- at least for the first couple of months," Cummings said. "It's also a little bit different format-wise. Chelsea has a very signature format. She has three comics on, and then she has a guest. Because she gets such big celebrity guests, I think I'm going to try to do more of a variety show format. It's a little weirder, to be honest."

Rounding out the show will be sidekick Julian McCullough, the Ed McMahon to her Johnny Carson. "Julian is just brilliant," Cummings said. "I kept hearing about him, and I met him in New York at the Comedy Cellar. We had a weird chemistry that I think may be based in self-loathing. When we worked together at Caroline's, I could see he was just so fresh, so quick, so smart. It also doesn't hurt that he's very handsome. I wanted to make sure that whoever I had as a sidekick would feel comfortable making fun of me."

Cummings' new talk show will be paired with "The Soup," starting tonight on E! Will you be watching?

- Love You, Mean It With Whitney Cummings
- Whitney Cummings
- E!

Written by: kyleiam
Nov 28th, 2012, 7:04 am

Message Posted On Nov 29th, 2012, 4:36 am
First episode was hilarious, guests awesome. Love 2 broke girls, Whitney not so much, but it has it's moments.
Anonypuss

Message Posted On Nov 29th, 2012, 12:34 am
Again, failed login (of my mind), sorry about that! [I blame these military grade captchas- damn, they are not easy!]

Message Posted On Nov 29th, 2012, 12:31 am
It wasn't that bad, actually... Not great, either, but certainly watchable... Sorry to disappoint (?).
Anonypuss

Message Posted On Nov 28th, 2012, 12:37 pm
"I'm going to be doing my show sober, so there's a difference..." -- Damn, there goes moi. [...] "at least for the first couple of months" -- Hmm. On second thought...? Hah. But, un/seriously, who am I kidding? (rhetorical: moi) Talk shows, in general, are pretty f--ing lame in my tvbook. Even the relatively decent ones, like Stewart, Colbert, Connan, and [post-libertarianism] Maher, etc., have not won me over as a _devoted_ viewer (not to mention the mainstream and semistream ones, which I watch on very rare occasions) -- something about the format, just scarcely does it for me. *** Although, who are _we_ kidding, we are all going to watch the ^Soup-cum-Cummings^ (I always wanted to write that out; yes, _always_), if only to see how bad it's going to be! (And that's coming from someone who is a fan of 'Whitney' and '2 Broke Girls' - well, 'ish; oh, and as for 'Sex in the City,' or 'Sex and a City,' or whatever the f--k it's called now: I am a huge fan! (of the act, that is. I've never actually seen even a fleeting second of that show. What am I not missing?)). But I digress, possibl-y
Hamatosan

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Nov 28th, 2012, 7:43 am

I don't care where she goes, as long as it is away.

/jerrylawermode