Steven Tyler apologies to Nicki Minaj over "Idol" comments

Steven Tyler sitting at the judges table on "American Idol"

In response to the most recent behind the scenes “Idol” drama that has been unfurling this week, Steven Tyler has made a statement in response to the accusations set forth by Nicki Minaj that he is a “racist”.

Tyler had some opinions and words of criticism to express about the most recent addition to the “Idol” judges panel recently, and he didn’t hold back his thoughts. In reference to new judge Nicki Minaj, Steven Tyler expressed his doubts about her judging abilities to MTV News when he said “If Bob Dylan auditioned for the judges today, Minaj would have had him sent to the cornfield.”

Nicki Minaj shoots a disapproving look at the camera

Minaj immediately took to her Twitter page in a burst of outrage, calling Tyler a “racist” among other colorful language for his judgement of her. "Steven Tyler said I would have sent Bob Dylan to a cornfield??? Steven, you haven't seen me judge one single solitary contestant yet. I understand you really wanted to keep your job but take that up with the producers. I haven't done anything to you. That's a racist comment.”

Well, Tyler has finally come back with a response to these allegations, and he insists that it is all a big misunderstanding. “I am the last thing on this planet as far as being a racist. I don’t know where she got that out of me saying I’m not sure how she would have judged Bob Dylan. I apologize if it was taken wrong, Nicki.”

It seems that Tyler is genuinely trying to make amends with Minaj and end yet another feud before it gets out of control. While Minaj has yet to respond, I am sure she will not keep her silence for too long, the new season has not even aired yet and I get the feeling that Minaj is going to be a source of continual drama both on and off the air.

What do you think about this whole mess? Did Nicki Minaj blow things out of proportion, and do you feel Steven Tyler’s apology was sincere?

- American Idol
- Nicki Minaj
- Steven Tyler

Written by: Rachel Anne
Nov 28th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Nov 29th, 2012, 1:55 am
Fake racism, fake apology (fake, fake, fake) - do these, then, negate one another?
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Nov 28th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Yep. I'll chalk it up to great minds thinking alike.

lordkinbote

Since: 25/Feb/08
Message Posted On Nov 28th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Ha!  msd85 and I pretty much said the exact same thing at the same time.

lordkinbote

Since: 25/Feb/08
Message Posted On Nov 28th, 2012, 9:50 pm

I agree that what he said was not at all racist and she took it the wrong way, since it was an obvious classic Twilight Zone reference, but his "apology" is technically not an apology.  When you say, "I apologize if it was taken the wrong way," that means you're not sorry for doing anything wrong, you're sorry THEY took it the wrong way.  That being said, he has nothing to apologize about, so I understand that's probably the best he could come up with.

msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Nov 28th, 2012, 9:50 pm

I don't think Tyler had anything to apologize for, and it seems he didn't think so either. How do I know? Because he gave one of those fake "I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way" apologies, which is what someone says when they don't believe they did anything wrong, but are receiving public pressure to apologize anyway. I still maintain that  there was nothing racist about Tyler's previous comments, and Minaj seems to be bringing race in to the argument for no apparent reason.