Mexican-American singer and television star Jenni Rivera assumed dead in plane crash

Actress and singer Jenni Rivera

At approximately 3:15am on Sunday, a plane took off from Monterrey on its way to Toluca carrying Mexican-American singer and television star Jenni Rivera along with four other passengers and two pilots. The plane was in the air for about ten minutes before it lost contact with the air-traffic controllers. After Mexican authorities found the remains of the plane in the mountainous terrain in northeastern Mexico, the worst is assumed, as there are no survivors. Although a more-thorough inspection must still be completed before the deaths can be officially confirmed, Rivera and all the other passengers have passed away in this tragic crash.

Jenni Rivera was 43 years old and had five children. An extremely accomplished artist, she sold more than 15 million albums worldwide, 1.2 million of those in the U.S. While she is more recognized and famous in Mexico, she has fans all over the world, and was raised in Long Beach California by parents who were immigrants from Mexico. At the most recent Billboard Mexican Music Awards, Rivera won female artist of the year and band album of the year for “Joyas Prestadas: Banda”.

Promo shot for Jenni Rivera's show "I Love Jenni"

Rivera was the star of one of NBC Universal’s most popular bilingual television shows, “I Love Jenni”, and was on her way to a taping of the Mexican version of “The Voice” on which she was a judge when the plane went missing.

Following the news of the crash and her passing, there has been an outpouring of support and condolences from friend and fans, including Ricky Martin and Gloria Estefan.

On Twitter, Gloria Estefan said “Praying for her and her family during this difficult and uncertain time.”

There is no indication yet to what caused the American-registered Learjet 25 to crash. Gerardo Ruiz-Esparza, Mexico’s transportation and communications minister, said Sunday “There is nothing recognizable, neither material nor human in the wreckage. This is what’s so regrettable, that it was so badly destroyed that there’s nothing recognizable.”

- I Love Jenni
- Jenni Rivera

Written by: Rachel Anne
Dec 9th, 2012, 7:26 pm

JECE

Message Posted On Mar 29th, 2013, 6:41 am
jenni rivera your an amazing singer if or if not your dead we will always love you .... que dios este contigo ... i love jenni ... :,-(

Message Posted On Jan 19th, 2013, 8:03 am
jenni i love you and you were such a great mom sister and a grandma. i really love your show-i love jenni- i watch it every day i know your still alive somewhere.i know everybody misses you alot like i do. your #1 <3
jennis biggest fan

Message Posted On Dec 20th, 2012, 4:01 am
I justt cantt belivee ittt....!
Jenni's fan

Message Posted On Dec 14th, 2012, 10:06 am
I can't believe she is dead.I was one of her biggest fan she ever had.Hope nobody forgets you but remembers you for years.
Jenni's fan

Message Posted On Dec 14th, 2012, 10:03 am
I love Jenni so much I wish she was right here with us.

Message Posted On Dec 14th, 2012, 2:00 am
i love you so much jenny i didn't want you to died i love your your music alot. why did you leave so early.

Message Posted On Dec 14th, 2012, 1:56 am
OH MY GOD I CANT BELIVE SHE DEAD I HOPE HER FAMILY TAKE HER GOOD.I HOPE HER FAMILY IS OKAY I KNOWN SHE GOING TO DO GOOD IN HEAVE AND HOW BE YOUR NUMBER ONE FAN I LOVE YOU

Message Posted On Dec 12th, 2012, 4:20 am
Jenni I know you're an a better place now with God you were a GREAT Mother Sister And An Amazing Singer I Will Always Be Your Number One Fan! #God Bless You Boo <3
G P Atl ga

Message Posted On Dec 11th, 2012, 11:25 am
I never heard of her/music till now big lose, very very sad, sad. send my priers and condolences to her family G P Atlanta

Message Posted On Dec 11th, 2012, 4:21 am
i know that jenni aint dead. somebody kidnapped her and toke her to a little rachet cabine and kept her so i know that she is not did. shes probably eating right know so dont worry. lets hope for the best that she is not dead GOD BLESS HER AMEN AMEN LORD/PEOPLE !!!!!!!
1 2 | Next page>>