Syfy comes to its senses, plans to air final episodes of 'Haven' season three together in January

Haven

Late last night, I posted this article detailing Syfy's rumored plans for the premiere of the previously pulled "Reunion" episode of Haven, which was unofficially speculated to be mid-January. I also lamented (along with many commenters) Syfy's seeming decision to still air the season three finale this Friday, even without its proper storyline lead-in.

Make no mistake, when I typed up that piece, I checked Syfy's schedule, and it still listed the season finale "Thanks For The Memories" at 10pm on Friday, following a full season three marathon. Now, less than twelve hours later, Syfy has changed their Friday schedule to a day of original movies, followed by a primetime lineup consisting of WWE Smackdown, and the Christmas episodes of Warehouse 13, Eureka, and Haven itself.

Which brings us to the obvious question, when exactly will the final two episodes air? The answer: Thursday, January 17th from 8-10pm. I find it kind of curious that they didn't reschedule them for a Friday, which is of course the night everyone is used to the show being on, but I suppose they must have their reasons for doing so. Honestly, I still find it pretty annoying that I have to wait a whole month to find out how the story wraps up, but on the bright side, at least I'll get to see things play out in the intended order.

Haven

The following is Syfy's official statement on the matter:

"Last Friday’s 10PM episode of Haven contained scenes of fictitious violence in a high school setting and in light of the recent tragedy, we have decided to reschedule it along with the series’ season three finale, originally slated to air this Friday, December 21st at 10PM.  The final two episodes of season three of Haven will now air back-to-back on Thursday, January 17th from 8-10 PM (ET/PT) to maintain the integrity of the series’ serialized nature."

I really don't get Syfy's logic that the content of the episode will somehow not offend anybody if they just wait a few more weeks to air it (do people really forget that quickly?), but at least us Haven fans now know where things stand. I still think the correct move would have been to air both this Friday, instead of subjecting fans to an irritating waiting period, but I'm just some guy writing on a TV website, not a network executive making millions of dollars.

- Syfy
- Haven

Written by: Michael Stevenson
Dec 18th, 2012, 3:33 am

Message Posted On Jan 1st, 2013, 10:55 am
not too sure about the airdates though, since I've already seen te episodes this is about. they aired last week.

Message Posted On Dec 31st, 2012, 3:36 pm
I'm sure they're showing on Thurs because the new season of Lost Girl will have already started. Personally I would rather see Alphas moved to Fri & Lost Girl on Mon with Warehouse 13.
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Dec 18th, 2012, 9:44 am

Sadly no, it's an old Eureka special.

Anonymous Coward

Message Posted On Dec 18th, 2012, 9:26 am
wait, they are teasing us with a new eureka Xmas episode when the cancelled the main series?

Message Posted On Dec 18th, 2012, 5:56 am
One word. Advertisements. The advertisers don't want their products to even be remotely associated with the horrible events that occured. Perfectly understandable, from a marketing point of view.
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Dec 18th, 2012, 5:03 am

I agree in some respects Anamon, but to be fair, the circumstances really aren't that similar. The victims in Newtown were children, the shooting took place at an elementary school. The victims on Haven are adults, and the shooting takes place at a high school. Other than the words "school" and "shooting" they are actually considerably different, at least IMO. And yes, I do remember people saying that about flight simulations after 9/11. That was just patently ridiculous, and thankfully didn't go anywhere.

Anamon

Since: 26/Apr/11
Message Posted On Dec 18th, 2012, 4:42 am

It's not about forgetting or getting over anything, but it takes time to slowly start and learn to cope, so putting a few weeks distance is a good thing. Even if there aren't any bad intentions, it could seem distasteful or cynical to air it while every news channel is still busy covering the actual shooting. I can understand the decision since it seems like the plot of the episode was really eerily close to what happened. It's not like when after 9/11 they wanted to censor flight simulation videogames (people actually argued for that).