Who will save 'Save Me?' Showrunner Alexa Junge departs

Save MeAn upcoming midseason replacement, 'Save Me' starring Anne Heche, has been put on hold at NBC due to the departure of the series' showrunner Alexa Junge. Junge, who has previously Executive Produced hit series like 'The West Wing,' 'Big Love' and 'United States of Tara,' has reportedly left 'Save Me,' a show she joined late after the pilot had already been produced. That means that Junge lasted a single episode on 'Save Me' and now NBC has halted production of the anticipated series to retool and assign a new showrunner to the troubled series.

Deadline is reporting that Darlene Hunt ('The Big C' creator and Executive Producer) is in talks to replace Junge on 'Save Me.' Sony Pictures Television will apparently be giving the reins of the single-camera format comedy to Hunt, taking over a project about a woman who lets her life, her body and her marriage wallow until she experiences a spiritual awakening which transforms her into a desirable and outspoken woman (played by Heche). Oh, and, this woman may or may not be channeling the word of god. Darlene Hunt

'Save Me' received the greenlight from Bob Greenblatt and the rest of NBC last year, in the same swath of orders that brought Matthew Perry's hit 'Go On' to television. Despite the tumultuous production, NBC is reportedly very high on the series concept and Heche, their star. The departure of Junge has allotted NBC the opportunity to reexamine the creative direction of 'Save Me,' but Nellie Andreeva at Deadline reports that the series has been a favorite pet-project of NBC brass since it was received from Showtime in 2010.

So it is reasonable to assume, given the gusto from the brass at NBC, that 'Save Me' will not go the way of 'Next Caller,' another midseason NBC comedy which had its production halted and its direction scrutinized. In the case of 'Next Caller,' the project was scrapped altogether. While there remains an outside chance that 'Save Me' could similarly falter, the proven hand of Darlene Hunt could be precisely what such a project needs in order to get back on track.

What do you think? Is 'Save Me' worth saving?

- Save Me
- Anne Heche
- Darlene Hunt
- NBC

Written by: bad_subject
Jan 12th, 2013, 2:08 am

Message Posted On Oct 8th, 2013, 11:31 pm
After seeing previews of this show I tuned in and faithfully watched all the episodes, now I'm hoping that Save Me is SAVED from the cutting room floor and renewed for another season.
Jesophiah

Message Posted On Jul 1st, 2013, 11:09 am
I just saw the first episode and laughed so hard I fell off my bed after slamming my knee against the night stand. It is a nice refreshing twist on a comedy. Although not exactly bible-based (I am a Christian myself), I also don't find it sacriligious. From a non-Christian perspective I could see how some of the things make sense but in a tasteful way. I definitely think the show is worth saving and hope someone will step up. As another reviewer said, TV is nothing but blood, guts and gore. We need more wholesome family shows; as I just found out I'm going to be a father myself. I would watch this with my family - it's hilarious. Please save this show.

Message Posted On Jun 22nd, 2013, 3:22 am
I am a Christian for more than 30 years I like the show I know its not bible base.but its a good show I look at it every Thursday it's a great Changes from sex and violence .Plus it gives people a thought that there is s God that loves us and is concern about us so don't take it off the air its the one show besides Christian TV that I really love looking at.

Message Posted On Jun 17th, 2013, 9:27 am
SAVE, SaveMe, fantastic awesome show, even my 10 and 7 year old boys who attend a christian school in Australia love this show. SAVE this show.
LuciefromCanada

Message Posted On Jun 13th, 2013, 11:56 pm
Yes YES YES!!!! It is worth saving. Everything on television is blood and guts and death these days (Game of Thrones, Law and Order, etc). I do love those shows as well but when I watched Save Me, I cried tears from being inspired for a change. A light, positive look at how we are all losing touch with each other to technology....and, I'm not even a religious person. Please consider keeping this show on the air...the world needs more inspirational shows like this...and the humour is excellent too!!!!