Howard Stern apologizes for comments about "Girls" creator Lena Dunham

Radio host Howard Stern on the air

Howard Stern went a little too far with his comments again it seems, and he immediately regretted it. “Girls” star and creator Lena Dunham had a fantastic weekend at the “Golden Globes” where her HBO show won her an award for Best Actress in a Comedy and Best Comedy, but on Monday Stern took to his radio show to apologize for some distasteful comments he spewed last week about the star for seemingly no reason.

Last week Stern took to the airwaves to put in his two cents about the “Girls” creator and star, calling her “a little fat girl who kind of looks like Jonah Hill.” He then went on to say “She keeps taking her clothes off and it kind of feels like a rape. I don't want to see that.”

Lena Dunham holding a Golden Globe on Sunday

It seems that after Dunham's big wins over the weekend Stern realized he had been a bit too harsh in his criticisms and said that he regrets the comments he made. "I felt bad because I really do love the show Girls, and enjoy it, and I admire the girl who writes it," said Stern. "It makes me feel bad, and I think she is getting the impression that I somehow think she's just a talentless little fat chick." I wonder what would give her that impression? Surely not that you called her a fat chick?

Dunham took the whole thing pretty well, and although she has not responded yet to the apology, last week on the “Late Show with David Letterman” she said “I'm a Howard Stern fan and really think he has earned the right to free speech and he should just go for it. But he did say something that is so funny that I want to get it on my gravestone: 'Congrats to her. It's so hard for little fat chicks to get anything going these days.' I want my gravestone to say, 'She was a little fat chick and she got it going.'”

Does Stern’s apology sound heartfelt to you?

- Girls
- The Golden Globes
- Howard Stern
- Lena Dunham
- HBO

Written by: Rachel Anne
Jan 14th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Message Posted On Jan 20th, 2013, 12:22 pm
I've heard far worse said about other people that are in the public eye and the media, women's groups, and the talking heads didn't report and/or demand an apology for them so I don't see why this one is so important.
Hamatosan

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 7:12 am

A badge I proudly wear.

Chrononaut

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 3:23 am

Looks like we have a Howard Stern fan...

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 12:33 am
At your (fuc*ing) service! /Bows
Hamatosan

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 12:11 am

Classy.

Anonypuss

Message Posted On Jan 14th, 2013, 11:46 pm
I, for one, find myself wholly un-moved by that fake-apology; or, half apology; or, apology-with-insult; or, whatever the f*ck that was. And while I seem to be one of few out there who is really having difficulties going through season one of Girls (I've been trying to get motivated to watch episode five -or was it six, I forget now- for a few months now), that has little of anything to do with Stern being..., well, his despicable self. (A misogynist, sure - but mostly, he's just a dic*cunt.)
Hamatosan

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Jan 14th, 2013, 11:04 pm

He added that he made the comments after seeing two episodes of Girls and that it did not catch his fancy. He kept watching though, and by about the fifth episode he started to come around.

He did not have to apologize, but has gone out of his way to do so and has admitted he was wrong. Not sure what else he could do differently to convince you otherwise.