Jessica Simpson to star in NBC comedy

Simpson

Can Jessica Simpson act? If you are cynical like I am and saw ‘Newlyweds,’ the answer is not very well. Regardless, we will soon know that answer to that question, as the singer is teaming with 'Fashion Star' producer Electus and NBC on a new scripted comedy that will be based on her life story.

"We are thrilled to team up with the multitalented Jessica Simpson to bring this new sitcom to life on NBC as she is truly a modern-day Lucy with incredible comedic chops," said Electus founder and chairman Ben Silverman. "From running a fashion empire to wrangling her public image as a new mom, we see Jessica's character approach a variety of 'everyday' circumstances that will get audiences laughing out loud."

Simpson added that she "(is) so excited to work with Ben and NBC again, this time on a scripted comedy. I often find myself thinking that no one could ever make up the things that actually happen in my life -- so between the real-life elements and a great team of writers, I think we'll have people laughing!"

The specifics of the show have not been revealed yet, with no word released on when the show will begin casting or filming. I assume it is at least six months away, as Simpson is currently pregnant.

This is Simpson's second attempt at a scripted comedy, as she was attached to a similar ABC vehicle in 2004. That went to pilot, but was not picked up.

Will you check out her show?

- Jessica Simpson
- NBC

Written by: Hamatosan
Jan 15th, 2013, 2:27 am

Message Posted On Jan 19th, 2013, 1:17 am
who cares if she can act..... do you think that's what we are interested in...Muppet

Message Posted On Jan 18th, 2013, 7:24 am
Its going to be called "But Chin" and it will be shot from the neck up. True story bro.

Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 8:27 pm
Jessica and Lucille Ball? That is almost so dumb I think that I shouldn't even comment on it, but I can't help it.
msd85
(Crazed Contributor)

Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 1:51 pm

I'll chime in my agreement with Mike1616 and rtruell as to just how laughable it is for Mr. Silverman to compare Jessica Simpson to Lucille Ball. I understand he is just trying to support his talent here, but come on. Lucy was a comedy icon, who broke ground for women working in TV. I have no particular dislike for Jessica Simpson, but I can't imagine that she will even come close to Lucy's success in the land of televised comedy.

rtruell

Since: 17/Apr/12
Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 1:19 pm

"she is truly a modern-day Lucy"

Not likely.  Lucy was one of a kind, and that kind of lightning doesn't strike twice.  Plus, Lucy was as much a product of her era as anything else, and that era, along with everything that made it up, is long gone and unlikely to ever return.  Heck, even if *Lucy* were coming onto the scene *these* days, she wouldn't have the success that she earned back then.  Jessica may or may not be a good actress, but no matter what, she ain't no Lucy.

mike1616

Since: 19/Dec/12
Message Posted On Jan 15th, 2013, 1:11 pm

You have got to be F#@&$NG joking, how dare you compare Jessica Simpson to the great Lucille Ball.

Jes isn't even pn the same planet, let alone the same neighbourhood when it comes to acting and when it comes to camedy, Jes isn't even in the same universe.

Betty White is the only person to come close to Lucy in the past 20 years and she is in the next county.

But saying that, I'll still watch the pilot and see if it has potential to entertain us, as most new comedys that have been started in the past 10 years, didn't make it to a second season.