'Touch' creator addresses low ratings

In a television season already marked by numerous cancellations, Fox's "Touch" seems to be circling the drain.

Touch

The sophomore season has struggled in the ratings of late, recently hiting a series low of 2.53 million viewers. Creator Tim Kring sees the creative direction of the series as strong, and insists that the low ratings are due to the series simply getting lost in the shuffle.

"I think a lot of people have not found 'Touch' - my sense is that a lot of people haven't found it," said Kring. "In this day and age, when you can find content in so many different platforms, we're hoping that the second season then feeds into people wanting to watch the first season, finding it online or finding it on DVD."

Kring sees the current season's heavier focus on a serialized, long-term story arc as a means to draw new viewers into the series, but denies that there are any plans to expand the storyline into a potential third season. "Right now, we're really focusing on this one arc of the story," he said. "The show is going to have a much stronger serialised engine this [second] season than the first season, which gives us a certain license. It adds kind of an adrenaline to the show and I think it will generate a little more fan interest because of the serialised nature this year."

"Touch" continues this Friday on Fox. Do you think the new story arc will bring viewers on board, or is the series destined for cancellation?

- Touch
- Tim Kring
- Kiefer Sutherland
- FOX

Written by: kyleiam
Feb 18th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Images courtesy of FOX

Message Posted On Mar 25th, 2013, 7:01 am
I don't understand why this show is so boring to so many people. I love it. Perhaps people are too corrupted to care about the characters. In season one there was a lot of short lived situations but they always had me in tears. I find the show to be suspenseful, well thought out and unlike any other series out there, and I agree with the guy from the UK: Americans seem to be interested in a lot of reality shit.
swoggy

Message Posted On Mar 10th, 2013, 11:41 pm
I watched the 1st series in the UK and though it became harder to stay with it I managed to do it. Knowing that each episode had to be concluded in that 45mins didn't allow for deep plot lines and I felt sure it would not see a 2nd series. I've read that the story is now going to stretch out over numerous episodes so hopefully will be able to be less predictable and as my more regular picks are on mid-breaks I'm willing to watch the first couple of episodes from series 2 and hope it has the power to drag me in to where I'm actually yearning for the next episode.
TheCthulhu

Since: 13/Nov/10
Message Posted On Feb 20th, 2013, 6:12 am

A lot of great, interesting serials get cancelled in the UK, Canada, Australia, and NZ too.

Just a few off the top of my head from the last couple years, all of which were better than Touch imo:

Apparitions (UK)

Paradox (UK)

Rabbit Fall (CAN)

Survivors (UK)

Hunted (UK)

Dadsez

Message Posted On Feb 19th, 2013, 3:21 pm
I Think Touch is brilliant well acted,Well written and completely different to anything else on TV.I'm from the UK and i can't understand you americans cancelling great Series all you seem to be interested in is shit reallity shows.They would not get cancelled over here.Get a life and watch proper TV.
TheCthulhu

Since: 13/Nov/10
Message Posted On Feb 19th, 2013, 6:50 am

I was excited about the show, expecting it to be serialized.  The stand alone episode format of last season (along with the unlikeable characters and horrisd writing) turned me off.  A serialized structure can only be a good think imo.  The old format was boring as h$ll...........

Message Posted On Feb 19th, 2013, 12:46 am
It seems to me that an even more serialised format, for a show already challenged in the ratings, is more likely to scare off potential new viewers, and cause current occasional viewers to drift away. It isn't the most welcoming format when you are struggling to find and build an audience.