Lifetime revives 'Drop Dead Diva' for fifth season

Drop Dead Diva cast

Six weeks after the announcement was made that Lifetime had cut Drop Dead Diva from its lineup, the network has decided to go back on their word. As reported first by Deadline, the decision to move forward with the series for a fifth season came after producer Sony Picture TV found a new financial model that Lifetime approved.

The original cancellation came as a surprise to the show’s loyal fan base. The fourth season of Drop Dead Diva averaged over 2 million viewers, and since its cancellation fans have been valiantly campaigning for its return to the air.

Show creator Josh Berman was more than excited when he heard the news that his show had come back from the grave. “It feels amazing. I love writing this show. I love the characters. I love the cast. I love the crew. For me, Drop Dead Diva feels like a family. It sounds corny, but it feels like the pick-up brought the family back together,” said Berman.

Berman continued to say that he feels the fans contributed greatly to the network reinstating the show. “I believe the fans saved the show,” he said. “When we were cancelled, we trended on Twitter, off and on, for days. Tens of thousands of fans signed petitions for the show to be brought back. Our Facebook numbers grew, and fans posted homemade videos on YouTube in support of Drop Dead Diva. I received thousands of messages of support from around the world. I’ve been fortunate enough to work on several popular shows, including CSI and Bones, but the fan base for Drop Dead Diva is nothing like I’ve ever seen. I’m grateful for such loyal fans.”

Are you happy to hear that Lifetime has given Drop Dead Diva another chance?

- Drop Dead Diva
- Josh Berman
- Lifetime

Written by: Rachel Anne
Mar 2nd, 2013, 9:36 pm

Images courtesy of Lifetime

Chris K.

Message Posted On Mar 7th, 2013, 4:19 pm
Hooray! Just read about the cancellation here and was so surprised and and unhappy. DDD is one of my favorite shows...and I have 80-90 different recorded shows on the DVR at any one time!! Then the next line said it's back! Thanks to all the other fans who fought for it - I would have joined you had I only known. On to Season 14! -Can't wait to see how the story threads al work out and weave together.

Message Posted On Mar 4th, 2013, 6:10 am
I'm so glad, Drop Dead Diva is one of my favorite tv series !

Message Posted On Mar 3rd, 2013, 9:16 am
It would be nice if they didn't end this new Season on a cliffhanger though, as the writing is pretty clearly on the wall.
uvbic112

Message Posted On Mar 3rd, 2013, 4:56 am
Loved the news! It's a great show!!
Lord Omega

Message Posted On Mar 3rd, 2013, 4:55 am
Yeeesss!!!! Can't imagine not being able to watch new episodes of this show. I love it!
MTQueenie
(Data Entry Specialist)

Since: 15/Nov/08
Message Posted On Mar 3rd, 2013, 4:00 am

Very happy about this, Was so gutted when they cancelled it and left us hanging with a huge cliffhanger, looking forward to seeing what happens next :)

Message Posted On Mar 3rd, 2013, 3:38 am
oh yesssss. loving the news alredy, total eye-gasm. hehe