Joss Whedon mulls 'Firefly' Kickstarter

With the groundswell of support shown for the Kickstarter campaign for the "Veronica Mars" movie, it was only a matter of time before creators of other canceled-too-soon series would make similar moves.

Firefly

As our own Michael Stevenson speculated when Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas' campaign exceeded its $2 million funding goal in only 10 hours, other series with similar cult followings may have the potential to be revived. Let's see, "Arrested Development" already has a new season and film in the works... what other fanbase is equally ravenous when it comes to their small screen favorites...?

Oh yeah! Joss Whedon's "Firefly!"

However, Whedon addressed the upsurge in fans of the science-fiction series requests for the creator to indulge in his own campaign. "My fourth feeling when I read about [the 'Veronica Mars' Kickstarter] was a kind of dread," Whedon told Buzzfeed. "Because I realized the only thing that would be on everybody's mind right now."

The creator insists that his reasoning behind holding off on pursuing the opportunity is directly related to his extremely full plate. "I've said repeatedly that I would love to make another movie with these guys, and that remains the case. It also remains the case that I'm booked up by Marvel for the next three years, and that I haven't even been able to get Dr Horrible 2 off the ground because of that," he said. "So I don't even entertain the notion of entertaining the notion of doing this, and won't. Couple years from now, when Nathan [Fillion]'s no longer Castle and I'm no longer the Tom Hagen of the Marvel Universe and making a giant movie, we might look and see where the market is then."

Additionally, the writer/director feels that the story of a fan-produced project would only add to the stress of creating something great so as not to disappoint his 'investors'. "And of course, there's the other fear: What if it's not that good? I can do something that's not that good - that's fine. But if I do that and it's not that good, I'm going to feel really stupid."

What other series could you see being brought back to life?

- Firefly
- Joss Whedon
- Nathan Fillion
- FOX

Written by: kyleiam
Mar 15th, 2013, 1:38 am

wynn

Mood: aggravated
Since: 01/Feb/13
Message Posted On Mar 16th, 2013, 12:01 am

Hehe, thanks ;)

I'm getting to it though, just didn't start watching and following the small screen scene that much before 03/04. But I'm definitely catching up with a lot these days, and adding more and more to my already quite full plate :)

mike1616

Since: 19/Dec/12
Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 10:05 pm
By the way, I'm calling for the assasination of WYNN. I just cant believe they haven't seen Firefly yet. Oh hangon, I just realised why they missed it, they must have only just woken up from a REALLY long coma. OK, You are forgiven ;-)
mike1616

Since: 19/Dec/12
Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 9:58 pm
I would love it if Firefly, Jerico, Jeramiah, Space Above and Beyond, Spacerangers, Knight Rider-(2010 series), Flash Gordon-(2008), Treminator The Sarah Conner Cronicles, The Bionic Woman-(2007), Seaqueat DSV and Moonlight could make a come back, just to mention a few of the top of my head. But I agree with Joss, if they are going to reboot any show at all then it shouldn't be done half assed. Get a good crew and production staff and wrighters that can be led by a director(s) that knows what they are doing and wont just rush it and produce a sub-par quality show that could easily be cancled. Let them take there time to produce a quality show that people want to watch and keep the studio executives out of the creatice side of it for once. We, the audiance, deserve this at least once in out lives. BUT... Joss, I'll be waiting and holding my breath for another Firefly :-)

Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 10:18 am
I would like Farscape to be brought back

Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 9:06 am
The TV Show Viper would be one that I want back.
wynn

Mood: aggravated
Since: 01/Feb/13
Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 4:31 am

Sounds quite good, thanks for the description and info, much appreciated :)

CommanderBalok
(Crazed Contributor)

Mood: mellow
Since: 05/Jun/06
Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 4:12 am

wynn: Firefly is a kind of science-fiction western. It takes place in what might be a small region of space or a large solar system. Fillion runs a crew of people who were on the losing side in a war with the largest and most dangerous polity in that region. That crew ekes out a living shipping goods here and there. I thought the show had sharp writing, interesting characters, a novel setting and a good mix of drama and comedy, and I enjoyed it. If you think any of the things I've listed could interest you, give it a try! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

ohdawn

Since: 29/Apr/12
Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 3:52 am

birds of prey

wynn

Mood: aggravated
Since: 01/Feb/13
Message Posted On Mar 15th, 2013, 3:23 am

Deadwood! ;)

Never watched Firefly actually, is it worth a go now?

Jericho!