'Oscar' producers on Boobs Song: "You missed the joke"

Seth MacFarlane

There was a fair amount of grumbling and rustled-feathers following Seth MacFarlane’s hosting gig at this year’s Oscar’s, and a lot of the controversy was aimed at his seemingly low-brow humour. MacFarlane came under a lot of fire from critics, bloggers and other special interest groups for his jokes, but Oscar producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan have come to McFarlane’s defense.

"We were really really proud of Seth MacFarlane, he did an amazing job,” Meron said Saturday at the GLAAD awards in Manhattan. "He did the job at we wanted him to do. Seth is irreverent, he comments on things that happen in our culture, and that's what he did and we thought he did an extraordinary job."

One of the most highly criticized moments of the show was MacFarlane’s “Boobs Song”, in which he sang about various female actresses topless scenes. I personally (as a female) was not offended in the slightest by this bit of comedy, and Zadan says that the critics who were did not understand the bit. "It was not about the women that were mentioned, the song was about him being a bad host and him being a juvenile, which was why he was a bad host."

"Everyone who complained missed the joke, it was satire," Meron said.

"I spoke to somebody yesterday and they were disappointed that he didn't go further," Zadan continued. "So you can't really gauge; somebody thinks it's too much, some people think it’s just enough... he brought in the youngest demos that the Oscars have ever had.”

What did you think of MacFarlane’s “Boobs Song”? Do you think audiences and critics have taken his jokes too seriously?

- The Academy Awards
- Seth MacFarlane
- Neil Meron
- Craig Zadan

Written by: Rachel Anne
Mar 16th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Message Posted On Mar 17th, 2013, 5:02 pm
I just realized after reading this article today that it wasn't about wardrobe malfunctions. So I can see it not being as offensive now. But if had been about what I thought, that is why I thought it was tasteless, especially for an event that should be classy, even with a few dings to others in good fun.
lordkinbote

Since: 25/Feb/08
Message Posted On Mar 17th, 2013, 1:30 pm

As to the person who thought it was about wardrobe malfunctions, I'm almost positive that is NOT the case.  Everything I've heard and read said it was about actresses who've voluntarily gone topless or naked for a role.  I can understand it seeming wrong if you thought it was about wardrobe mishaps.  That would not be funny.  It was funny 'cause they willingly did it for roles and then he was being overly childish as in a "Beavis and Butthead" way saying, "Heh, heh, we saw your boobs!  Heh, heh..."

lordkinbote

Since: 25/Feb/08
Message Posted On Mar 17th, 2013, 1:25 pm

I didn't find it offensive.  I thought it was funny.  I'm not a woman, but I don't think that should disqualify my opinion on it.  If someone did get offended, I do think that they didn't get the joke and was taking it straight forward and not as satire, which is his specialty.  It would be offensive if someone sang that and truly believed those things.  It's like getting offended at old Andrew Dice Clay's persona.  You totally miss that he's being crude to show the absurdity of it and THAT'S why it's funny.  I used to be considered a sensitive person, but it seems the general public has surpassed my sensitivity and take too many things more seriously than they are meant.

Message Posted On Mar 17th, 2013, 12:50 pm
the song was Ridiculous and he as a host He should dont Song it ever

Message Posted On Mar 17th, 2013, 4:42 am
Sorry, even as a guy and "dead baby" jokes who do not bother me. Low lame humor makes me laugh sometimes. But I thought it was offensive for some reason. I think the song was just low class and crude toward women. I did NOT think the song was about topless scenes, I thought it was about wardrobe mishaps. I related that to the topless shots of the royal lady while on vacation too. So I saw it as a "we saw your boobs, because your privacy was invaded or your dress top fell down" That's what I thought the song was about really.
Hamatosan

Since: 02/Aug/12
Message Posted On Mar 17th, 2013, 12:35 am

1. Rachel's Canadian. You could find that out pretty easily.

2. If you want to insult people, be a man about it. Do not do it under the cover of anonymity.

Message Posted On Mar 16th, 2013, 9:13 pm
if you had (as a female) you'd been an idiot. Mcfarlane was a great host and the boobs song was pretty clever. you're just a country of fucking prudes. More guns, less freedom of speech, right? Pathetic