A last-minute judge's ruling has saved Lifetime's Saturday evening plans.
You see, the network had previously announced that it intended to air Romeo Killer: The Christopher Porco Story that evening. Crisis arrived on Tuesday when a New York judge issued an injunction to stop it from airing. Lifetime filed an emergency appeal, saying that the judge's decision was "unprecedented" and would cost the network millions of dollars (millions of dollars), as well as harm its brand and threaten the First Amendment itself. Whoa.
Well, the appeal was heard and approved by New York Supreme Court's appellate division. They issued a stay on the injunction and said that it would remain in place unless Porco could show cause as to why the order should not be lifted.
The film (which stars Matt Barr) is based on Porco's, a convicted murder, story. Porco had argued that the film would violate his rights to his name and image.
Lifetime is enjoying the little bit of media attention and has now decided to promote the film as the "Lifetime Original Movie Chris Porco doesn’t want you to see." Nice.
The network says that, "The two-hour film is inspired by the true story of a handsome young college student who became the prime suspect in the shocking murder of his father."