The cause of Shain Gandee's death has been revealed by the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office.
The 21-year-old Gandee, who was one of the stars on MTV's newest reality program, Buckwild, died of carbon monoxide poisoning. A native of West Virginia, he was found dead along with his uncle and an unidentified person in a 1984 Ford Bronco on a remote road yesterday, a day after he was reported missing. Gandee was last seen on Saturday, when he left a bar after telling friends he was going "mudding."
Some have speculated that the cause of death was due to thick mud that lodged in the tailpipe of the vehicle, causing a backup of the exhaust. Given the cause of death being revealed as carbon monoxide that seems like a strong possibility.
Gandee's cousin Ashlee Gandee Lewis took to Facebook today, writing that, "I just wanted to let everyone know that the family feels that Shain died peacefully in his sleep without pain or suffering. That it probably was carbon monoxide. They are making arrangement[s] now for his funeral. Nothing is confirmed but they are thinking Saturday."
It is unknown if MTV will go forward with a second season of Buckwild now. Before this, it was definitely in the plans, as the cast had received a $4,000 per person bump per episode recently.