ABC's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' now titled 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'

S.H.I.E.L.D. logo

Fresh off the news that the cast of Joss Whedon's ABC pilot was expanding to include 'Angel's J. August Richards (making it seem likely that the pilot will be picked up to series), the project itself seems to be getting a new title.

It is not uncommon for television series titles to change during the development process, and it seems that the ABC pilot 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' from Joss Whedon was amended to 'Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.' and now, as EW reports, 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Despite the rapid changes, we're told that the newest title--with 'Agents' intact--is how ABC executives and producers have been discussing the project.

Agent CoulsonIt is a bit of a mouthful, considering how crisp and clean 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' sounds on its own. The impetus for including the 'Marvel's' possessive seems in effort to announce from the rooftops that this new series is related to the smash-hit 2012 feature film 'The Avengers.' Creating a television series that fits into the same cinematic universe as 'The Avengers' as well as the upcoming 'Iron Man 3' and 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' is a tantalizing prospect for nerds like myself, so I can forgive ABC's desire to make that connection as clear as possible. Yet considering that a selling-point for many fans is the involvement of Joss Whedon, it seems likely that many fans will be talking with a double-possessive, as Joss Whedon's 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'

Advertisers also received a new description for the series, which you can read below:

Joss Whedon (MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) shows us not all heroes are super with MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

Fresh from his role in the summer’s box office smash, MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS, Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) returns to the worldwide law enforcement organization S.H.I.E.L.D. He puts together a small, highly trained, team of Agents to tackle the cases that haven’t been classified yet, the new, the strange and the unknown. That team consists of straight arrow Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), an expert in combat and espionage; pilot and martial artist Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen); and brilliant if socially awkward scientists Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge). They’ll be joined by civilian new recruit and computer hacker Skye (Chloe Bennet).

Prepare for an epic adventure that showcases the hope and wonder of the human spirit. This is a world of Super Heroes, aliens and the unusual – of action, spectacle and world spanning stories. The show will speak to the human condition through the lens of our very human, non-powered S.H.I.E.L.D agents – that together we are greater than we are apart, and that we can make a difference in the world.

Executive Produced and co-written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen (Dollhouse, Dr.Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog), Jeffrey Bell (Angel, Alias) and Jeph Loeb (Smallville, Lost, Heroes) comes Marvel’s first live-action TV series, MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

What do you think of the new title and description for Whedon's latest show?

- Clark Gregg
- Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- ABC

Written by: bad_subject
Apr 7th, 2013, 12:53 am

Images courtesy of ABC

DumbViewer

Message Posted On Apr 9th, 2013, 11:31 pm
Marvels Agents of SHIELD??? OMG What a terrible fcking name!! We all know its Marvel so please leave that out of the damn title. It makes it sound so cheap, like an 80's early 90's cartoon that has to explain everything that is happening so the "stupid dumb" viewer can understand it all....so fcking lame
rtruell

Since: 17/Apr/12
Message Posted On Apr 8th, 2013, 5:01 pm

"Didn't Coulson die in The Avengers? I mean they kinda confirmed it a few times, or did I miss something?"

I seem to recall that when the TV show was first announced, they mentioned that fact and possibly even addressed it, but I can't recall what explanation, if any, they gave to reconcile him being in the TV show.  If you check into some of the earlier articles about the show, you might find the answer.

rtruell

Since: 17/Apr/12
Message Posted On Apr 8th, 2013, 4:52 pm

"After Er name a show where she was a regular that ran more than two years and was not troubled from the beginning"

As The World Turns.  And according to her page on TVRage, ATWT and ER are the only two shows she *could* have "killed"...in the other 5 shows (including S.H.I.E.L.D.), she was/is a regular right from the start, so they don't fit the criteria.

"and was not troubled from the beginning"

If a show was troubled from the beginning, that's a problem with *the show*, not with a particular actor/actress on the show.

"like Universe was"

Universe couldn't have been *that* troubled from the beginning...after all, it ran for two years.  Plus, its ratings seem to have been pretty decent for the entire run, albeit better in the second year.

"How about the next to last season of Eureka?"

What about it?  She wasn't a regular on Eureka (she only appeared in a handful of mostly non-consecutive episodes of that season), so it doesn't count.  And even if it did, in order for her to have "killed" Eureka, it would have been cancelled in that season...since it was renewed for another one, she plainly didn't "kill" it.  But if you want to include other shows in which she had only a recurring or guest role, there's a number of them: Two And A Half Men, Boston Legal, Private Practice, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and even Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, to name just a few - *all* of which "survived" her appearance.

Thus, no matter how you look at it, she's *not* a "show killer".

"I can wait two years to prove I'm right"

You'll have to wait longer than that.

[FFS, I *still* can't post anything resembling what this idiotic commenting system considers to be a "link" because it still considers me to be a "new user", even though in 9 days I'll have been posting here for *a year*.]

Message Posted On Apr 7th, 2013, 9:11 am

Message Posted On Apr 7th, 2013, 6:28 am
rtruell After Er name a show where she was a regular that ran more than two years and was not troubled from the beginning, like Universe was. Vanished ring any bells? How about the next to last season of Eureka? I can wait two years to prove I'm right.
rtruell

Since: 17/Apr/12
Message Posted On Apr 7th, 2013, 5:03 am

"Ming-Na Wen Death to a tv show. Look at Stargate Universe, or anything else she appears in and observe the very short lifespan of those series."

Bwahahahaha.  Just because you don't like her for whatever reason doesn't mean she's "death" to a show.  In order for an actor/actress to be considered a "show killer", any show he/she "kills" has to have already been airing before, and be cancelled shortly after, he/she joins it.  It hardly took any effort at all to prove you wrong about Ming-Na: she was on ER for 5 years in the middle of its run (from season 6 episode 10 until season 11 episode 9) and the show continued for another 4 years after she left.  As for Stargate: Universe, she was on that show right from the first episode, and the show ran for 2 years.  Thus, she can hardly be considered "death" to a show.

Pretty pathetic attempt at disparaging Ming-Na.  But then, I guess haters gotta hate, no matter how irrational it is.

Message Posted On Apr 7th, 2013, 1:57 am
Ming-Na Wen Death to a tv show. Look at Stargate Universe, or anything else she appears in and observe the very short lifespan of those series. The character descriptions are all pretty blase. Not seeing a lot of original thinking so far. Compare it to something as well written as Utopia or In the Flesh. I can't wait for the amnesia episode.

Message Posted On Apr 7th, 2013, 1:15 am
They could call it 'Toast' and I would still watch... Just bring it!