John Barrowman 'really upset' to miss 'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary

Don't expect the esteemed Captain Jack Harkness to make his presence felt in the "Doctor Who" 50th Anniversary special.

Jack Harkness

While it was confirmed that David Tennant would make a return for the anticipated event, it doesn't appear he will be bringing his frequent running buddy Harkness along for the adventure. Barrowman confirmed to TV Line that he would not be returning to the role, though it certainly was not due to lack of time.

Contrary to prior speculation, Barrowman insisted that he was not asked to participate in the special. "Everyone on Twitter tries to make it like it's my decision, but the bottom line is I was not asked," he said. "[The producers] don't want to put Jack in it. And I know fans are really upset about it, as was I."

He continued, "People have tried to say it's my schedule - it's absolutely not. I was told by the producers of 'Arrow' that if I was asked to do the 50th anniversary of 'Doctor Who' they'd let me go and do it. It was nothing to do with my schedule. It's just a matter of fact that I wasn't asked."

While the actor was upset that his character would not play a role in such a big event, he stated that he understood the reasoning behind it. "I understand why they did it. They want to move forward, they want to try some different things," Barrowman said. "I know from how [former showrunner Russell T Davies] approaches things, they're not doing it just for the uber fan; they're doing it for the wider audience. And if they're going to bring a character back it wouldn't be just for the uber fan, it would be for everybody. So perhaps that's the thinking they had."

Are you upset that Harkness and the Torchwood gang won't play into the special?

- Doctor Who
- Doctor Who (2005)
- Russell T. Davies
- Steven Moffat
- John Barrowman
- BBC one

Written by: kyleiam
Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:41 am

Images courtesy of BBC One

Message Posted On Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:32 pm
I'd rather see a proper send off to Torchwood...
mike1616

Since: 19/Dec/12
Message Posted On Apr 23rd, 2013, 10:11 pm

If they had Cpt Jack, then why not ALL the other companions from the new series?

because it's just not possible in a story or logisticaly. So lets just wait and see the bloody special before we start bashing it.

Some folks will see characters they like and some wont, you can't keep everyone over joyed all the time, but they do a good job of trying.

StuBnew

Since: 27/Feb/10
Message Posted On Apr 23rd, 2013, 7:30 pm

It's a shame Jack isn't going to be in Dr Who.

lordkinbote

Since: 25/Feb/08
Message Posted On Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:26 pm

It's funny.  I hadn't expected or thought about him being in it until it was mentioned and then afterward was a little sad that he wouldn't be there.  But, I get it also.  It's Doctor Who-centric, meaning the Doctor himself, so although it would be nice, it's not required to have all the extended players.  Plus, it's 50 years they're honoring.  EVERYONE can't be there.  Even if they could logistically, it would then just be, as he said, for the uber-fans.

Vanaques

Message Posted On Apr 23rd, 2013, 3:09 am
I'd be happy if he just voiced ''the face of bo''... Who probably won't be in it either... Which is a shame, as he is a good friend of the doctor if i remember correctly... Well I'm off to watch some old doctor who now.........
darrylhaines

Since: 02/Mar/10
Message Posted On Apr 23rd, 2013, 1:46 am

Glad they didn't put in captain jack, it's supposed to be doctor who, not the adventures of doctor who and captain jack :)

Message Posted On Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:55 am
The thought of him being in the anniversary special never even occurred to me tbh. I would be happy to see Torchwood return though.