Showtime’s ‘The Borgias’ may be wrapped up in two-hour movie if not renewed for season 4

The Borgias

After three seasons, Neil Jordan drama The Borgias may not get a chance to return to television as a regular series. Airing on Showtime, the papal drama has been waiting for the word on whether or not they have the go-ahead for a season four, but the word at the moment is that the the likeliness of this occurring is slim to none. Jordan is instead considering wrapping up the series with a two-hour movie.

With acclaimed actor Jermey Irons in the leading role of Pope Alexander VI, The Borgias has manged to hold its own in the ratings, although not quite rising to the level of a hit like Dexter. During a recent launch campaign for season three, Jordan admitted that he would rather finish the series with a movie than another season. “I would like to finish it with a two-hour movie,” he told the British press. “Another 10 episodes is kind of exhausting. I’ve mapped out a movie, which, if (Showtime brass) agree, will shoot in June with the same cast, and finally the Pope will die horribly.”

Whatever the network chooses, it is almost certain that Borgias fans will get some closure on the series. Showtime entertainment president David Nevins has a strong belief in giving series’ the endings they deserve. “It’s really important to me that our audience feels taken care of,” said Nevins back in January.

Would you rather see The Borgias renewed for a fourth season or ended with a two-hour movie?

- SHOWTIME
- Neil Jordan
- The Borgias

Written by: Rachel Anne
May 7th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Images courtesy of Showtime

Message Posted On Jul 6th, 2013, 9:25 am
I would absolutely love a season 4 why would you not continue its the best I have ever seen I would love a season 5 6 7 and so on with the children

Message Posted On Jun 18th, 2013, 7:48 am
This is the best show you have. Why do they always cancel the good shows? Really you should give it a season 4,5&6 + + +.

Message Posted On Jun 17th, 2013, 5:51 am
Showtime. Have you lost your mind?
Pitbul53

Message Posted On Jun 13th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Season 4 ... PLEASE! This series is fantastic and one of the main reasons for continuing my subscription. Another year to tell the story and give it a proper and fitting wrap is in order.

Message Posted On Jun 12th, 2013, 2:17 pm
4th season! it really is the only showtime series I watch- which means it's the only venue for advertisements I get for other showtime series. The new moonshine series looked interesting, but with no showtime.....its a mute point.

Message Posted On Jun 10th, 2013, 9:04 pm
While a fourth season would be my preference, as I am a fan. If the movie is made such that it can also be a stand alone, it could be released in cinemas! Certainly a money maker I would have thought.
Nyxy333

Message Posted On Jun 10th, 2013, 9:02 pm
I think Showtime would be smart to renew it for a fourth season, since I have seen in many places on the net that subscribers plan to cancel their subscription if it is no longer showing as they would no longer see any point in having it. The general consensus would be to air it at a different time to other popular series, like Game of Thrones as the audiences seem to be similar. However, a 2 hour movie to wrap it up is the next best thing. If they leave it hanging, they will probably damage their reputation and alienate viewers since there is so much more of the tale to tell. Even if it is in a shortened season 4 to wrap it up ... say 5 episodes, rather than 10. That will give them enough time to find a replacement that may keep subscribers from cancelling and start airing it just before season 4 ends. Just saying!

Message Posted On Jun 9th, 2013, 1:54 pm
Yes , a fourth would very much be my vote....I would really like to see the wonderful cast for another season. It is my favorite show!

Message Posted On Jun 9th, 2013, 11:56 am
a fourth please c and l need to be together and before Caesare's death would be great I would like to remember them diff the real life

Message Posted On Jun 2nd, 2013, 11:38 pm
Not matter which option please don't leave it hanging, it has been good enough to at least get a real ending. It can be a 2 hour movie, a full final season or somewhere in between. I know fox is giving Nikita a six episode finally and gave fringe a shortened season to end even though both shows had poor ratings. It does really suck when a serialized show just ends after 3+ seasons.
1 2 3 | Next page>>