Other outlets interested in picking up 'Hannibal' if NBC passes

Hannibal

When NBC announced its fall schedule this week, fans surely noticed the conspicuous absence of one critically acclaimed freshman drama. Hannibal is now the only existing series on the network to not have its fate decided, and reports are floating that NBC may not even make a decision until the current round of thirteen episodes ends. That said, no matter what the Peacock decides to do, it seems that everyone's favorite cannibal psychiatrist may get a chance to continue his practice elsewhere.

The ratings for Hannibal started off quite well, but have since been on a steady downward slide. Despite this, the show is a critical darling, and has inspired a small but loyal cult fanbase. It is not at all out of the question that NBC will end up electing to renew the series itself, but if it doesn't, the word is that at least one (as yet unnamed) cable network is very interested in continuing the series. With the already incredibly high level of gore and violence Hannibal contains, cable might actually be a better fit.

Also said to be interested in picking up Hannibal's adventures is Amazon Streaming, which is steadily making inroads into the original programming department. The service already "airs" repeats of the show, and they apparently do quite well. Another factor working in Hannibal's favor is that the drama is a big hit overseas, having already been sold to multiple international markets. It is also produced under an atypical production model, enabling networks to license it at a fraction of what similar dramas cost. In short, it seems much more likely than not that we'll see at least one more season of Will Graham, Jack Crawford, Dr. Lecter, and some of the most bizarre murder cases I can ever recall seeing on TV.

Do you want Hannibal to continue? Or do you find Dr. Lecter's meals lacking the necessary spice?

- Hannibal
- NBC

Written by: Michael Stevenson
May 15th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Images courtesy of NBC

Lucylastic

Since: 06/Jan/09
Message Posted On May 16th, 2013, 8:20 pm

As long as its not cut completely I dont care if NBC cut their own throats. its a great series, and yes a cable show could do better with it, Im guessing, but it is  very cerebral which may account for its poor nbc showing.

Message Posted On May 16th, 2013, 4:30 pm
I love the show but also agree cable is a better fit. Glad to hear others are interested in picking up as Unlike everyone else, I think NBC will drop it. I hope it isnt too long before season 2 - wherever it ends up. A question: What is the symbolism of the stag Will sees in his dreams?

Message Posted On May 16th, 2013, 10:24 am
My personal guess is that NBC won't let it go because it has the chance to be one of those series that picks up quite a bit in a second season, and one thing NBC can't afford to do is lose ratings considering how often other media outlets slam them about their ratings publicly. I think they learned enough this season about screwing with airing schedules (particularly w/ Revolution and Hannibal,) and the passing of some of their flagship comedies. considering that they'll have to contend with an interrupted space because of the olympics this winter and the new shows they're introducing, they'll probably hold onto the option to air it until they see the rating of their new shows in the first part of the fall. Worst case scenario, they could just pass it along to USA which is also NBC/Universal. I'd personally love to see it on the same night as American Horror Story on FX, and considering that their comedies will be moving to FXX, that might end up as a possibility.
Jane007

Mood: frustrated
Since: 03/Dec/09
Message Posted On May 15th, 2013, 11:31 pm
I would love to see this show on a cable network where the show will get a chance to shine and become as popular as Dexter.
Baillie1987

Since: 10/Jan/13
Message Posted On May 15th, 2013, 7:41 pm

I hope NBC don't stay with it. I'd rather see a cable network or streaming network pick it up and not have episodes pulled because NBC are too worried to air it. I wasn't happy when I heard NBC would be taking it in the first place. Terrible network for this kind of show. I think this would do well on Showtime or AMC

LooraIsHungry

Message Posted On May 15th, 2013, 4:47 pm
I was, quite honestly, very surprised to see Hannibal on NBC of all networks. CBS beeing the only less likely candidate I guess. I haven't seen the show yet myself so take my opinion that is entirely based on reading and heresay with a grain of salt for now. It seems unlikely to me that NBC can afford (!) to let Hannibal continue in it's current form. It's just no fit for the network and it's desired image. The show served it's purpose (getting lots and lots of attention) and now they should let it move on to greener pastures and grow. I fully agree that US cable or pay tv would be a MUCH better fit for the show, artistically as well as financially. Let's hope for the best. I can't wait to find the time to watch this.
buckyr64

Since: 19/Oct/12
Message Posted On May 15th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I get goosebumps just thinking of what FX, AMC or Showtime could do with Hannibal. It's so engrossing with the storytelling and pacing, but also, it's the most visually engaging show I've seen in a long time. NBC just wants safe programming, so let Hannibal go to a cable network and let these artists tell a story.