'Game of Thrones' actress: "I want to be known for my acting, not my breasts"

During the first two seasons of HBO's Game of Thrones, the show attracted criticism for its "sexposition" scenes, in which important dialogue was delivered alongside gratuitous nudity, presumably to make it more interesting for viewers less invested in the show's complex plotlines. The series has slowly weaned itself off such practices; there's still nudity, of course, but it's typically in service to the story.

But part of that decline in nudity might be because one actress simply refuses to appear naked on-camera anymore. That's certainly what Oona Chaplin thinks. That actress, who plays Robb Stark's wife Talisa Maegyr, claims that one of her fellow castmembers told producers she wouldn't appear naked on the show anymore.

"One of the girls in the show who got her kit off the most in the first couple of seasons now doesn't at all," Chaplin told The Telegraph. "She said, 'I want to be known for my acting, not for my breasts.'"

Who might this actress be? Fans speculate that it was Emilia Clarke, who plays Daenerys Targaryen on the show. Clarke's very first appearance on the series included nudity, and she appeared naked several more times throughout the first season (though, I would argue, the contrast between her nudity at the beginning of the first season and at the end was representative of her empowering character arc). Clarke didn't appear nude in the second season at all, and only recently shed her clothes again for a scene in Sunday's "Second Sons."

But if it's not Clarke, then who? My guess is Sibel Kekilli, who plays Tyrion's lover/prostitute Shae. We haven't seen Shae nude at all this season, and Kekilli has a pretty solid reason to not want to be known for nudity.

What do you think? Is Game of Thrones nudity still gratuitous? Who do you think Chaplin is referring to?

Game of Thrones returns June 2 for the penultimate episode of season 3, "The Rains of Castamere."

- Oona Chaplin
- Game of Thrones
- HBO

Written by: mcpherson
May 23rd, 2013, 8:22 am

Images courtesy of HBO

saffronsghost

Since: 28/Oct/12
Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 4:03 pm

How boring would ones life have to be to troll tv "news" comment sections, I wonder.

As for the article, I never felt the nudity to be excessive.  Apparently, the writer of this article isn't sure what he thinks.  It was during "important dialog" before, and that was bad.  Now it's okay because it's "in service to the story"?  Uh, what?

Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 3:30 pm
Hey, the girl likes rolls.
matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

Now that I have a steady roll, locked into character and they can't really replace me, I dont want to do one of the things I was hired for. STFU. If you didn't want to show your breasts you should have turned down the roll.

Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 11:58 am
Ros. that's why they *SPOILER ALERT*
FireJames

Mood: depressed
Since: 14/May/13
Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 11:02 am
I think it was Lena Headey, after all, She is one of the main actors in the show and that's what it would take to get the change made. In first season she was nude in even episode, now nothing.

Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 10:43 am
anyone who says meh, is usually a lamer. Any actor or actress who says I want to be known for my acting and not..... whatever, will never be taken seriously.
Scotsmania

Points: 10
Since: 21/May/13
Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 8:33 am

Dianna Rigg :P

Message Posted On May 23rd, 2013, 8:32 am
The show as a whole is pretty weak. Its just t and a for desperate basement dwellers. The story is mediocre at best. Acting.. Meh