Showtime cancels 'The Borgias' after three seasons, creator reveals how it would have ended

Unlike its predecessor The Tudors, Showtime's period drama The Borgias won't get to see its natural end. Showtime has cancelled the series, based on the titular historical family, after three seasons, bringing the show's run to a close just one year earlier than planned (the show would have ended with season 4).

The series starred Jeremy Irons as Pope Alexander VI, one of the most notioriously controversial and corrupt popes of the Renaissance era. The Borgias served as the spiritual successor to Showtime's earlier series The Tudors, which ran for four seasons between 2007 and 2010.

“I never thought I would make a cable series and have enjoyed every minute of it,” said creator Neil Jordan in a statement. “For a variety of reasons we won’t be doing a fourth season, but, [series finale] ‘The Prince’, when I wrote it and shot it, did seem like the end of a journey for the family. Whatever bonded them as a family dies in this episode, and the center of the drama for me was always the family.”

Jordan did have a plan for the show's ending, though, with a planned two-hour finale, according to Deadline: “I wanted a totally biblical ending, for the Pope to burn in hell,” he said, describing a tale in which the dying Pope wanted to confess but could find no one to hear it. When he did finally find a confessor, he would interrupt the Pope, saying, "I'm sorry, it's too late, you're already dead and burning in hell."

Intense.

"This satisfies all moral feelings about the Pope," Jordan said.

The Borgias will air its penultimate episode, "The Gunpowder Plot," this Sunday, June 9. The series finale, "The Prince," will air the following week on Showtime.

What do you think? Are you sad to see The Borgias go?

- The Borgias
- Jeremy Irons
- SHOWTIME

Written by: mcpherson
Jun 5th, 2013, 7:02 am

Images courtesy of Showtime

JONIKA

Message Posted On Jun 23rd, 2013, 2:55 pm
WEB THERAPY HAS BEEN RENEWED AND THE BORGIAS HAS BEEN CANCELED? WHAT THE HELL KIND OF LOGIC IS THAT? ALL YOUR NUMBERS ARE BASED ON NIELSON RATINGS. BUT THERE ARE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ALSO WATCHERS AND WE DO COUNT. YOU GUYS DISGUST ME. WHY EVEN BOTHER TO BECOME EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED IN A SHOWTIME SERIES WHEN IT CAN BE YANKED DUE TO SOMEONE'S CAPRICE. ADIOS TO MY SHOWTIME SUBSCRIPTION.

Message Posted On Jun 20th, 2013, 3:32 pm
I caught this program in season 2 and became immediately hooked. Yes, it's content bordered on gruesome, but in a way that depicted the times, so the violence wasn't all that gratuitous compared to other shows that get to run to their natural end. I love Jeremy Irons, and I enjoyed the other fine actors as well. Boo to showtime on this. I have to wonder about how solvent showtime is if it can't even afford to give us a 2 hr series finale. BOO ON THAT TOO.

Message Posted On Jun 19th, 2013, 11:52 am
Boo! Another great show cancelled by the greedy networks.
Anonypuss

Message Posted On Jun 6th, 2013, 4:32 pm
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti... That cancellation cuts deep.
wynn

Mood: aggravated
Since: 01/Feb/13
Message Posted On Jun 5th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Wow, the ratings must have dropped a lot for them not to finish the show with just one more season :/

lola_tola

Since: 16/Aug/10
Message Posted On Jun 5th, 2013, 7:30 pm

All good things come to an end...

Message Posted On Jun 5th, 2013, 4:13 pm
@Jane i think so too. Religion always ruins good things.
Jane007

Mood: frustrated
Since: 03/Dec/09
Message Posted On Jun 5th, 2013, 3:18 pm
I wonder if it got cancelled because of the religious content......?
Loora

Message Posted On Jun 5th, 2013, 3:11 pm
No big loss there. Then again, I only watched a few episodes when it got so boring I couldn't endure another episode. Maybe I missed the best parts of the show. Alas, I'll never know ...
Scotsmania

Since: 21/May/13
Message Posted On Jun 5th, 2013, 8:13 am

Can't belive they're replacing this fantastic TV show with the cheap knock of show Vatican.