This 'Doctor Who' rumor states that the BBC will be announcing the Twelfth Doctor on Saturday

We might be getting an announcement of the new 'Doctor Who' star sooner than we thought.

A week ago, Matt Smith announced that he would be vacating his role as the Eleventh Doctor at the end of the year -- and so, the search (and speculation) began for his replacement. It was known that we'd probably be getting the announcement of the new actor sometime before the Christmas special began filming this fall, but according to recent rumors, we might be getting it -- Saturday?

Starburst Magazine is reporting that a British paper has managed to find out who the next Doctor is, and will be announcing it this weekend. "Sources have indicated that a Sunday newspaper is intending to scoop the BBC by announcing the name of the new Doctor this weekend," Starburst writes. "And in order to pre-empt the scoop, the BBC look set to announce the name tomorrow evening, just a single short week since the announcement of Matt Smith’s departure, and hardly time enough for that bombshell of a news story to sink in. [...] The source indicated that a photo shoot with the lucky new TARDIS tenant has already been completed.

Of course, this is all to be taken with a very large grain of salt. However, Starburst seem rather confident with this prediction, publishing the names of three reported contenders: Domhnall Gleeson, Daniel Kaluuya, and Dominic Cooper. Here's a quick breakdown of these three:

Domhnall Gleeson, 30, is the son of actor Brendan Gleeson, but you probably know him best from his role as Bill Weasley in the final two Harry Potter films. He's certainly got the weird look for the role, but he seems a bit young to provide any real contrast to Matt Smith. On the positive side, casting Gleeson would made the Doctor (finally) a ginger.

Daniel Kaluuya is 24 -- even younger than Smith was when he took the role -- and would be the first black actor to portray the Doctor. He already made an appearance on Doctor Who -- in the special "Planet of the Dead" -- but that was long enough ago to be forgotten by now. His biggest acting credit was as Posh Kenneth in the first two series of 'Skins' -- but he's slated to appear in the upcoming film 'Kick-Ass 2.'

Dominic Cooper is, at 35, the oldest of the three contenders. Sure, he's not as old as I'd like the next Doctor to be, but he's got a pretty fantastic resume. He appeared as Howard Stark in the two 'Captain America' films, but he also appeared in 'Dead Man Down,' 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' and 'The Devil's Double.' He's also a good friend of James Corden -- who appeared as Craig in "The Lodger" and "Closing Time" in series 5 and 6.

I'm not particularly crazy about any of the choices yet -- there's not nearly as much variance in age as I'd hoped -- though since the BBC likely wants to keep the show marketable to young viewers, these are realistic candidates.

If these turn out to be the real frontrunners, which would you like to be the Doctor?

We'll keep you posted to see if this story pans out.

- Doctor Who (2005)
- Dominic Cooper
- Daniel Kaluuya
- BBC one

Written by: mcpherson
Jun 7th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Images courtesy of BBC One

Message Posted On Jun 8th, 2013, 2:46 pm
I have watched every episode that has ever aired, and in my opinion it peaked when David Tennant and Billie Piper played the parts... The show started going downhill long before them, and continued after if it has a chance of surviving, they Dominic Cooper to pull it back out of the slump, he is an excellent actor and stands the better chance of saving the show for future actors to take on the part, I would also like to see Danial Kaluuya take on the part of Dr. Who in the future he is a promising actor and I see great things in his future, perhaps as number 14 or 15... Don't get me wrong Tennant had some big shoes to fill taking over when Christopher Eccelston left and I had my doubts but he managed to pull it off and that was a lot to the credit of Piper... Personally I don't really care who the next Dr. Who is, as long as it isn't Domhnall Gleeson, I see him as an extension of Matt Smith and another season wasted on crossed fingers and hope that they can pull through for another season...
adrianz25

Since: 25/Mar/13
Message Posted On Jun 8th, 2013, 4:47 am

I really would think that John Hurt guy they introduced as the new Doctor would be pretty awesome, but if not, I enjoyed Daniel Kalyuua in his one small appearance, and would love to see a non-white Doctor at some point.

StuBnew

Since: 27/Feb/10
Message Posted On Jun 8th, 2013, 2:22 am

If I had too choose one of these 3, I would choose the Weasley bloke, just so we can get a ginger DR (but they need to have him freak out for that reason).... But I have my fingures crossed on a female DR

Message Posted On Jun 7th, 2013, 11:59 pm
John Heard...or at least that was the impression I got from the last episode...
fierras

Mood: enraged
Since: 26/Oct/05
Message Posted On Jun 7th, 2013, 10:23 pm

It took me a very long while getting used to Smith. And.... he's gone.

Scotsmania

Points: 10
Since: 21/May/13
Message Posted On Jun 7th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Not happening BBC have posted on twitter that the rumor is false and there will be no announcement today

LooraTheTimelord

Message Posted On Jun 7th, 2013, 4:11 pm
You watch them catch everyone off guard and announce a female doctor! Ha! Billie Piper returns as Doctor Who and David Tennant as her companion :D None of the above actors would fit the role but that certainly won't keep BBC from hiring any one of them, after all ... they went with Matt Smith for way too long.
Juliana

Message Posted On Jun 7th, 2013, 2:46 pm
I'm mad that Smith is leaving just cause I was just getting used to him, but I'm really anxious and excited to find out who the new Doctor will be!!