'Happily Divorced' Canceled by TV Land

Happily Divorced cast

Anyone looking for a nanny? TV Land has just canceled its Fran Drescher starring sitcom 'Happily Divorced' after two seasons, according to Deadline.

'Happily Divorced' featured Drescher as (who else) a character named Fran, who is thrown for a loop when her husband of nearly two decades comes out as a gay man. The couple divorces, but neither can afford to live separately in such a bad economy. Frequent Christopher Guest collobarator John Michael Higgins played Fran's husband Peter. The premise is loosely based on Fran's real-life experiences with former husband (and series co-creator) Peter Marc Jacobson, who came out as gay following their divorce in 1999.

The final episode of 'Happily Divorced' aired back in February. 34 episodes were produced in all. 'Divorced' joins 'Retired at 35' as only the second original scripted comedy to be canceled by TV Land. 'Hot in Cleveland', 'The Exes', and 'The Soul Man' are all still going strong. Kirstie Alley also premieres a new sitcom on the network this December.

'Divorced' started off well in the ratings, with the premiere in 2011 drawing 2.4 million viewers. Unfortunately, by the second season premiere, that number was down to 1.4. The show did well enough to earn a full 24 episode second season pickup, but it appears that TV Land has decided to cut its losses at this point.

Did you watch 'Happily Divorced'? Should it have gotten a third season?

- Fran Drescher
- Happily Divorced
- TVland

Written by: Michael Stevenson
Aug 24th, 2013, 12:04 am

Images courtesy of TV Land

Message Posted On Dec 21st, 2013, 11:18 pm
Happily Divorced had Great Actors, Great Story lines, and Great Laughs...I am truly going to miss this show Hot in Cleveland,the Exes and Kirstie combined don't come close to Happily Divorced

Message Posted On Dec 7th, 2013, 2:41 am
I don't watch TV Land anymore. They cancelled Happily Divorced, and then as insult to injury - took off the Nanny :( I HATE Hot in Cleveland, and the Exes, as well. TV Land - you STINK!!!! I also WON'T watch Kirstie Alley - either.. She is mean spirited.. I was hoping that Happily Divorced would get another season, Fran sparkles in anything she does. I'm sure your ratings will sink, TV Land, and also NICK at NITE - you took off 2 great shows - yet you insist on keeping on Raymond, as well as FULL HOUSE & FRIENDS??? NUTS TO YOU!
Sebast

Message Posted On Oct 3rd, 2013, 2:07 pm
We were waiting for a third season. She's classic...what else do you want? There's nothing new on tv! Sheen is repeating himself again and again...so, who can blame Drescher? "Happily divorced" is a great show. Sebast from Argentina

Message Posted On Sep 5th, 2013, 3:01 am
Why they cancelling good shows? Deception and now happily divorced.
pmtenoso

Message Posted On Aug 27th, 2013, 3:45 pm
I loved the show Happily Divorced and its a shame that they aren't bring this show back. First of all I cant figure out why the show was on at 10:30 or 11:00 on Wednesday night a get a good rating. Plus if I can remember last February I didn't see a lot commercials on the show as well, like we see with Hot in Cleveland, Exes and The Soul Man... I hope that you can give this show a second chance...Great Actors, Great Story lines, and Great Laughs...I am truly going to miss this show Happily Divorced!!!!!!!
brikov

Since: 31/Jan/09
Message Posted On Aug 24th, 2013, 1:34 pm

I agree with Anonymous. Mosly harmless.

kay1056

Since: 18/Dec/11
Message Posted On Aug 24th, 2013, 1:16 pm

it was pretty funny but any show she is in is usually pretty funny!!

Message Posted On Aug 24th, 2013, 3:27 am
I enjoyed the show. It wasn't brain draining allowing me to de-stress before sleeping.