‘Person of Interest’ Says Goodbye to [SPOILER]

‘Person of Interest’ Says Goodbye to [SPOILER]

Warning: if you have not watched tonight’s ‘Person of Interest’ titled “The Crossing,” then read no further. Major spoilers follow.

For several weeks, the CBS killer tech-drama has been teasing that “a hero makes the ultimate sacrifice” during a three-episode event. Well, the network wasn’t kidding.

Not only was tonight’s episode one that involved an entire box of tissues, but it was also one that will affect episodes from here on out.

Despite John’s (Jim Caviezel) number coming up at the beginning and Fusco (Kevin Chapman) being taken and tortured by HR baddie Simmons in a fortune cookie factory (Robert John Burke), the one character ‘Person of Interest’ said farewell to tonight was Detective Joss Carter (Taraji P. Henson). Yes, you read that right. The lead actress, and series regular since Season 1, was killed by Simmons.

In addition to the shocking death of Carter, some other surprising -- and touching -- moments also popped up throughout the episode. Not only did we learn that Carter basically saved John from committing suicide, fans also witnessed a sweet kiss between the duo. John even whispered ‘Person of Interest’ Says Goodbye to [SPOILER](in a rare emotional moment), “You changed me.”

At the end, after all was safe and sound with Fusco, Shaw (Sarah Shahi) and Finch (Michael Emerson) -- and after Carter turned in Alonzo Quinn (head of HR), figured out that Finch is using some type of super-computer, and finally got bumped up to detective -- the unimaginable happened. Simmons emerged from the dark to shoot John and Carter.

With John by her side, and Finch looking on in shock as The Machine called him on a nearby payphone, Carter uttered with her last breath, “I need to see my boy...” and “Promise me you’ll tell him…”

If that’s not tear-jerking enough, before Carter’s death, John told her, “You’re the one I want to be with at the end.” Judging from next week’s promo, it’s safe to say John will not let Simmons, or anyone from HR, get away with her death.

For those hoping to see Carter again, she won’t appear in the present day, but as the ‘Person of Interest’ writers tweeted tonight, “P.S. Everyone lives on in flashbacks.”

Are you shocked by ‘Person of Interest’s first major death?

- James Caviezel
- Taraji Henson
- Person of Interest
- CBS

Written by: Allyson Koerner
Nov 19th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Images courtesy of Frank W Ockenfels 3 /CBS, Giovanni Rufino/Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Message Posted On Nov 26th, 2013, 11:44 am
Yes, it was shocking to see Carter shot. Yes, they've lost a great actress. Yes, Shaw is a poor female lead. Yes, Execs made a very bad decision. Yes, Carter needs a vest! Yes, Finch should save her! Yes, it was a BIG mistake! Get it?
mike1616

Since: 19/Dec/12
Message Posted On Nov 25th, 2013, 8:44 pm

As I wright this there are 7 pages of comments about this article, I think this just might be a popular show, hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehee.

Can't wait to see Jonh go full assasin on HR, kill em, KILL THEM ALL, AAAARRRRRRrrrrr!!!

Message Posted On Nov 24th, 2013, 12:57 pm
lets hope carter was wearing a vest and her death is a plot. BUT PLEASE GET SIMMONS TO EMPTY A CLIP IN AMY ACKER'S HEAD. She really needs to go perhaps attain some acting lessens.

Message Posted On Nov 22nd, 2013, 1:41 am
About time. Worst actor on the show. The character was diminished by consistently weak performances. She needed to go for the show to improve. A good move that should've happened much sooner.

Message Posted On Nov 21st, 2013, 10:21 am
Who's Carter?
Joe M.

Message Posted On Nov 21st, 2013, 8:46 am
I would have been okay with Fusco going; he had a redemption arc, and came out of it a damn fine man and an excellent detective. He could have died with his honor intact, and it would have made sense. Carter dying blew my mind! Still, I'll continue watching, because the show is insanely well written and acted.

Message Posted On Nov 21st, 2013, 5:04 am
My husband & I have watched POI from the beginning. It is quite possibly the only present day show we CANNOT MISS. However, I am almost devastated by the character of Carter being written off. The quality of the writing, quality of acting & the dynamic between the four main characters were all very important to me. I have enough tragedy in my own personal life. I did not need it in something I go to for entertainment.
MissingCarterAlready

Message Posted On Nov 20th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Carter was the last person I expected to see die on "The Crossing". I'll admit, I'm more than a little upset by it as I really loved her character and Taraji Henson as an actress. Carter grew so much since season one and did some things I never thought she would do. I would have much rather seen Root or Shaw be killed off than Carter and can only hope their characters numbers will be up sooner rather than later. However, I can't see myself not watching Person of Interest because she left even though I will miss her terribly. PoI is perhaps my favorite show and I loved all four of what I considered the main characters (Reese, Finch, Carter and Fusco). I started watching the show for Michael Emerson and immediately took to Caviezel, Henson and Chapman. They all made the show great, it wasn't just one. Part of that dynamic is gone now and I do believe the show will be a lot different. Personally, I don't believe Root and Shaw combined will be able to fill Carter's shoes because neither is as likeable and tough, yet caring as was Carter. Neither Root nor Shaw lives up to the dynamic of the original four. I'm going to have faith that the writers and show runners knew what they were doing in killing her off. I'd hate to see a half season or season down the road that such a great show shot itself in the foot while trying to pull a big plot twist and shock the viewers. This isn't "Lost" (PoI is better than "Lost") and they should remember that.
bushdiver

Since: 10/Dec/08
Message Posted On Nov 20th, 2013, 11:42 am

I will say that it was a total surprise but the good guys can't always walk away unharmed. Yes, other series have also lost good actors but please don't say seriws like The Walking Dead. That has got to be one of the most boringest series I have ever watched. If people weren't fixated on Zombies this series would have died a long time ago.

Pragmatic & Incredulo

Message Posted On Nov 20th, 2013, 11:41 am
The only way to describe people who are saying that they are going to stop watching the show because Carter has been killed off is pathetic. Killing Carter off could be a decision that proves to be harmful or it could improve the show. Her death can open up new story arcs, the makers can also bring in new characters or expand the ones they have. I remember when killing off Kate Todd was supposed to bring the end for NCIS, that was 8 seasons ago. Person Of Interest is a tv show for crying out loud, if the death of a character affects you people so much you really need to grow up and seek psychological help.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next page>>