Cougar Town Moving To TBS?

Cougar Town cast

It looks like Abed Nadir might just have to reset his DVR, as his favorite show might be switching networks next season. Cougar Town has been having a rough go of it on ABC since almost the beginning. The network barely promotes it, switches its timeslot at the drop of a hat, and the only reason it didn't get stuck as a mid-season replacement was that the new cross-drossing comedy Work It failed so spectacularly that ABC needed a clean-up hitter immediately.

For a few months now, it's been an open secret that Cougar Town's perennial "on the bubble" renewal status was soon to pop entirely. Fans might just have a reason to hope however, as cable network TBS is in early talks to continue the series should ABC elect to cancel it. Of course, nothing is for sure quite yet, but I'd say the chances are pretty good. CT's style of comedy would fit write in with TBS' line-up of Big Bang Theory, The Office, and Married With Children re-runs, and it was only a matter of time before their original programming department decided to branch out from ordering series created by Tyler Perry.

This also wouldn't be the first time that a struggling comedy created by Bill Lawrence successfully jumped networks for the better. Scrubs was axed by NBC after a writers-strike reduced seventh season, and was subsequently resurrected for an eighth and final season that got almost universally high marks from fans. Let's just pretend they never tried that whole "continue the show with different characters" thing afterward, ok? It wasn't that bad, but it also definitely wasn't Scrubs.

But I digress, Cougar Town could be a perfect fit for basic cable. Granted, the stars would probably take a pay cut, and the overall budget would drop (such is the nature of moving from broadcast to cable), but the producers and stars all claim to want to continue the show, and if TBS came calling it would be put up or shut up time. Would more seasons of Cougar Town be worth a pay cut to Courtney Cox? We'll have to wait and see.

Would you support Cougar Town's move to TBS? Or should the show just end now?

Source: Deadline.com

- tbs
- Cougar Town

Written by: Michael Stevenson
May 6th, 2012, 12:08 am

matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 10th, 2012, 11:10 am

Its been made offical today - Cougar Town has been renewed for a season 4 - but is moving to TBS. Modern Family was also renewed.

matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 8th, 2012, 3:42 pm

I agree with Tina - when a show moves channels - its a good sign that the show is going to be cancelled unless it draws huge ratings. Although TBS would be smart to air both the new episodes and someting like a 5pm episode daily to get TBS viewers to watch who might not have ever seen.

matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 8th, 2012, 3:41 pm

I wouldn't really, I just say I would then secretly watch my downloaded copy in the closet with the lights off.

tinalessia

Since: 12/Oct/07
Message Posted On May 6th, 2012, 4:34 pm

CT is hilarious.... I love the quirkiness of it all...please don't move this...that's just the appetizer to cancellation...NO NO NO!!! And Modern Family, I've just finished the 1st season. Haven't laughed this hard in awhile, aside , of course, from the nonsensical, albeit logical ramblings of Sheldon Cooper and TBBT!!

Cuddlepot

Since: 03/May/12
Message Posted On May 6th, 2012, 9:49 am

Hey Matt4848 - Modern Family is a great show!  Don't cut off your nose to spite your face :)  But I agree, ABC are stupid if they let this one go.  I love CT - it is a great funny show.  I hope TBS picks up the ball and runs with it!

matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 6th, 2012, 5:45 am

If they kill Cougar Town, I'm done with ABC. I'll stop watching Modern Family as well. Cougar Town is one of the best comedies on TV.