PTC Bullsye Aimed At NBC Over Howard Stern, People Struggle To Give A Damn

Howard Stern

Fresh off their recent crusade against ABC's Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23, America's self appointed moral guardians the Parents Television Council (or NAMBLA) have now set their sights on a new target that will surprise absolutely nobody. Everyone knew that NBC hiring the always controversial Howard Stern to judge on America's Got Talent would soon set off the dog whistles in the brains of PTC members. I'm just surprised it took them this long.

As is per usual of the group, the PTC is attempting to pressure 91 prominent companies that have advertised on past seasons of AGT into not supplying ads for the show after Stern debuts. The PTC's statement to advertisers is thus - "Stern’s reputation for sleaze and misogyny is well known; and to our knowledge his only previous judging experience consisted of looking at insecure, naked young women and telling them whether or not they were hot enough to pose for Playboy,” the PTC wrote in its letter. “He once told a female guest, ‘I would like to kiss you and chop off your feet…I wanna bite off your fingers…I wanna have sex with you and throw you in a ditch…[and] chop your head off.’ Does such commentary accurately reflect your corporate values?"

Now, I personally, don't listen to Stern. In fact, I find the man obnoxious, but that's hardly the issue here. Stern is popular. His radio show attracts millions of daily listeners, and was almost single handedly responsible for the continued rise of satellite radio in America. NBC is only giving viewers what it thinks they want, and judging by the overwhelming buzz about his debut, they appear to have made the right decision. TV is a business, companies do what makes them money. End of story.

In addition to that, I (and I'd wager most people here) abhor censorship. I couldn't care less what repugnant sleaze Stern might peddle, if people want to listen to and watch him, nobody has the right to stop them. Especially not a bunch of sanctimonious jerks like the PTC. I may not agree with everything Howard says, but I fully support his right to say it. In the meantime, NBC will just have to suffer through all the free publicity this will generate for the premiere of America's Got Talent. Poor, poor NBC. You really showed them guys.

- Howard Stern
- America's Got Talent
- NBC

Written by: Michael Stevenson
May 7th, 2012, 4:21 am

matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 9th, 2012, 7:16 am

Music, just like Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I want to start a campaign against PTC for discriminating against people who are similar to Howard Stern. It obviously has nothing to do with his actual talent - but rather "That he says those DIRTY WORDS!!" *GASP*.

matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 9th, 2012, 7:14 am

Even if stern is a hack - what gives them the right to force him off a show they have no creative power.

To the women of NAMBLA and the PTC - please give me a call - I will come give you a nice 'personal cleaning' so you can stop bitching about stupid shit - and start dealing with life that truly matters - not if some douche like Stern gets on a shitty show live American X Idolfactor season 56.

Message Posted On May 8th, 2012, 9:07 am
It's for sure and certain than I am no fan of the PTC or NAMBLA, I think that they have hit the bulleye this time. At least Steven Tyler has a talent background and knows good music when he hears it. What does Stern bring to the table? Not a freakin' thing! What could NBC possibly think qualifies this moron as a judge of other peoples talent? What a bunch of hacks, Stern included.
tvaholic

Mood: accomplished
Since: 06/Jun/10
Message Posted On May 7th, 2012, 6:19 am

The PTC have power. The Playboy Club was pulled when Advertisers pulled their funding. I think that AGT is in danger with this move. Surprised that they didn't go after American Idol for Steven Tyler. There have been many things that he has said in the past that should have bit them in the butt. But that is Fox. If Family Guy couldn't get kicked off, nothing will ;)

matt4848

Since: 29/Feb/12
Message Posted On May 7th, 2012, 5:01 am

NAMBLA and the FCC only have power when people give it to them. If no one listens - they have no power.

"Power lies, where people believe it lies." -Tyrion Lannister