The Philco Television Playhouse was one of the most distinguished of the many "live" anthology dramas which aired during the so-called "golden age" of television. The first episode of the Philco program was broadcast over NBC on Sunday evening 3 October 1948 between 9:00 and 10:00 P.M. It remained on the air for just over seven seasons until 1955. At the beginning of its fourth season in 1951, The Philco Television Playhouse acquired an alternating sponsor, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. From 1951 until it went off the air, the program shared its Sunday night slot with The Goodyear Theatre.
For a short period between 28 August 1955 and 12 February 1956, the Philco Television Playhouse alternated with The Alcoa Hour in addition to The Goodyear Theatre. Following the end of The Philco Television Playhouse in 1955, The Alcoa Hour and The Goodyear Theatre continued in alternation with broadcasts of one hour live dramas until 29 September 1957.